Aussie Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hi all.

Just after a bit of info.

The serpentine belt on my 4.0 SOHC V6 almost ran of the tentioner pulley the other day, just happen to see the belt half off the pulley when I was checking under the Bonnet.

Upon moving the belt fully back onto the pulley, I noted the Outer assembly of the Tensioner Spring Loaded Hub had around 5-10mm of Forwards Back Movement in it.

Is this normal or is my Belt tentioner in need of replacement.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

replace, they do tend to go out. mines not to far behind yours I belive:(

Replace asap. My tensioner went out about a year ago...not a hard fix but make sure you have a 1/2 in ratchet available.

Definately replace, one thing to note is that you can purchase an underdrive unit for around the same price. I also have a stock unit laying around. Email me if interested. I offer both.-j

Thanks guys, been away for a week so, didn't get a chance to look at the thread sooner.

Jah81592> I will see what I can get one for down hear first, If it's too much I will send you a PM. Thanks mate.

I just replaced mine through Advance auto parts online (Parts America). The tensioner was $30 and a new Goodyear Gatorback belt was $23. Free shipping for purchases above $50!

Back