Bench bleeding Master Clutch Cylinder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bench bleeding Master Clutch Cylinder

felsmann

Reaction score
City, State
HB, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Sport
Does anyone have a step by step, detailed instructions to bench blleed the Master Cyklinder on the 5 speed Mazda Tranny?

Thnaks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bench bleeding master cylinders

Felsmann, The procedure for bench bleeding all master cylinders is the same as far as I know.
tools needed; bench vise, long screwdriver, brake fluid, one or two 12" pieces of hose ( need two for brakes one for clutches) the adaptors that screw into the hole where the
clutch/brake lines go. these are threaded on one end and have
a nipple on the other end to slip a small diameter hose over.
#1 mount the master cylinder in the bench vise so the fluid
reservoir is level . Usually it's easiest to clamp the vise over the stock mounting hole.
#2 screw in the bleeder adaptors (they should have come with
the master cylinder) so there snug.
#3 connect the hose to the adaptors and run the end into the
reservoir. (a clip of some sort is usually included to hang the hose into the reservoir)
#4 fill the reservoir allmost all the way up with clean brake fluid. Don't worry about the "low" "normal" levels at this time.
#5 using your screwdriver push the cylinder in all the way in
SLOWLY. this is to get all the air out first.
release the cylinder SLOWLY. keep repeating this process
untill there are no more air bubbles comming out of the hose.
After you finish . install the cylinder as soon as possible
to prevent loosing any fluid and picking up air.
The reason for not doing this on the vehicle is, when you push in the clutch/brake pedal it does'nt fully push in the cylinder and you wind up pulling it off the vehicle and bench bleeding it anyway.
hope this helps.

Peter, thanks for your response, and all the detail. Perhaps I should have nbeen more specific in my question. I was refering to the Master cylinder for the Clutch on Explorers with the 5 speed transmission.

This system is a oin particularly because of the angle in which the Master is installed on the firewall.

I have been experiencing hard shifting, which only goes away after bleeding the system (the standard way), but it lasts for a few days only. I have been told that there might be air trapped in the master cylinder.

Thanks

If you just want to bleed the master cylinder (on the car) then get underneath, remove the clutch fluid line from the bell housing. There is a special tool to remove the line, but you can just use your fingernails to press the white ring you see towards the tranny. It should disconnect. Get inside the car, and press the clutch pedal. It SHOULD be hard. If it is not, a seal in your master cylinder is gone. If it is, and you want to bleed, have someone get in the car, and you get under. Press the metal circle in the middle of the male end of the quick disconnect that you just removed with a small screwdriver. Have the person in the car depress the pedal, then release the screwdriver. Have the person in the car release the pedal. Repeat as necessary, then just reconnect the line. You may want to bleed the slave cylinder then also.

NOTE: Make sure the resevoir ALWAYS has enough DOT3 brake fluid, or you are just pumping air back into the system.

[Edited by ExplorerChrisWay on 12-14-2000 at 09:39 PM]

I wish that would do it. Like I said, I did that about 15 different times, and it only fixed it for a day or two. I just dropped it off at the Dealer, I'll let them deal with it!

Sorry, as soon as I finished writing my first post, I noticed that you only wanted to bleed the master cylinder, so I edited my message.

No problem, at least someone out there is trying to help.

Thanks!!

Back