Bench seat latch system. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bench seat latch system.

Tessie0407

Reaction score
City, State
San Angelo, TX
I am interested in purchasing a used 2002 or 2003 Explorer Limited but am unable to find out if the bench seat has the LATCH system and specifically if the system is in place for the middle seat. Can someone inform me? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on both our 02's it's not there, on my SIL's '03 it's not there either, as far as I've read, it was mandatory starting on cars built after sept '02, so look for an '03 that was built after that date, not sure if you can safely retro fit one...

Thanks for the info. If I have been told correctly, the 2002 was built on the F-150 frame whereas the 2003 was when Ford started building on the Explorer frame. I know the 2003 has the LATCH system I am just not sure if it is available for the middle of the bench seat. I currently drive a Cadillac CTS and the LATCH system is available for the left and right rear passenger seats but not the middle seat. We currently just use the seatbelt for the carseat. Just curious. Thanks again for your help! I have researched and posted questions in many forums and very thankful for the response as I have had none everywhere else! Have a wonderful day!

You don't want the 2002 model year anyhow. It was a "buggy" year for the Explorer, being the first year of a major design change. Lots of documented cases out there of problems with the '02. I have a friend with the '04 and she's been very happy with it. I'd go as late into the "3rd Generation" as you can afford (2002-2005 I think is the cutoff for the 3rd gen).

That Latch system is slick. My wife and I both have cars without it, but we recently used our carseat on the inlaw's car with it and really loved how quick the seat goes in and out of the car.

You were told wrong. 2002-2005 are all pretty similar. The Explorer became much more carlike in 2002 (especially the rear suspension) was was trucklike before that. The Expedition, not the Explorer is built on a F-150 platform if I'm not mistaken.

I think there's a post from Donner where there are even pics of where it is...

I mentioned in the other thread that my 04 has them on the outside seats.. but not the middle seat.

I actually dont know if mine has them, im assuming not, but for the car seat I have some contraption that the car seat just clicks into and its strapped down with the seatbelt. Not sure how old your kid is but this is for a 1 yr old in a rear facing car seat.

Back