Best/cheapest option regarding spotlight | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best/cheapest option regarding spotlight

With the new discovery of the outer trim molding, does anyone know if there is a hole predrilled for a passenger side spotlight that is simply covered by a plug trim piece? I’d pop it off, but I don’t want to risk breaking it
The holes are drilled as part of the upfitter's installation. Also, I believe having 2 spotlights is not the norm since many vehicles are a one man operation. I believe going by the pictures posted, most of PIU owners have removed the light.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On a side note - most states allow only five forward facing lights (I would assume turned on at same time). That would be two headlights, two driving lights, and one spotlight. A light bar is considered one light.

So, my PIU comes with one spotlight, which is pretty standard. I’m looking for suggestions on whether I should remove the spotlight and plug the hole, or go for the bass-ass look and add a second light to the passenger side.

I can’t do bodywork on my own, so I called a few body shops. They will patch the hole for me, but when it comes to painting, they want to paint WAY more than needed where is just want a small area painted and blended (truck is black). Close to $800-$1000 which is find excessive.

option 2 would be to get a hole drilled and add a passenger side spotlight. It’s hard to find a place that will drill the hole since it’s close to the glass and they don’t want the responsibility. My estimate is about $500 for the hole, spotlight, and professional installation.

resale value will tank if I take the spotlight off, people who buy these, love the light. Two lights is rare and desirable.

I'm just looking for opinions on what you would do

I had a batch of utilities that came in with spot lights, they were going to the detective section, I ordered the outside and inside trim from the dealer, removed the lights, plugged the hole with silicone and snapped it all back together. I think the parts were $140 from the dealer, per car.

I wouldn’t recommend aftermarket a pillar outside trim to my enemy, fits horribly bad.

I had a batch of utilities that came in with spot lights, they were going to the detective section, I ordered the outside and inside trim from the dealer, removed the lights, plugged the hole with silicone and snapped it all back together. I think the parts were $140 from the dealer, per car.

I wouldn’t recommend aftermarket a pillar outside trim to my enemy, fits horribly bad.
I was just checking eBay and read the same. It’s hard to tell what’s really OEM and what’s not. The dealership screwed up with part numbers so I have do some digging. There are 4 pieces that are shown to be needed, but I assume the mounting brackets aren’t needed, only the outer trim and inner trim piece?

If you have a local dealer, let them order it, if it’s incorrect, they will make it right

Both Levittown Ford Parts and AutoNation Ford are usually much less expensive than the dealer although there is something to be said about a more personal interaction with the dealer.

Peter

Having had to remove spotlights and close-off the holes on friends' former police vehicles, it would be very easy on the PIU's to simply seal-off the outer A-pillar hole with a proper-fitting snap-in hole plug (while also using a good sealer); then replace both the outer and inner trim pieces... and nobody would ever know that it was ever there at any time in the past!

So, my PIU comes with one spotlight, which is pretty standard. I’m looking for suggestions on whether I should remove the spotlight and plug the hole, or go for the bass-ass look and add a second light to the passenger side.

I can’t do bodywork on my own, so I called a few body shops. They will patch the hole for me, but when it comes to painting, they want to paint WAY more than needed where is just want a small area painted and blended (truck is black). Close to $800-$1000 which is find excessive.

option 2 would be to get a hole drilled and add a passenger side spotlight. It’s hard to find a place that will drill the hole since it’s close to the glass and they don’t want the responsibility. My estimate is about $500 for the hole, spotlight, and professional installation.

resale value will tank if I take the spotlight off, people who buy these, love the light. Two lights is rare and desirable.

I'm just looking for opinions on what you would do
Nenno Products sells a "patch". I've bought a couple things from them...nice folks, great service.

Back