• Register Today It's free!

Best Cold Air Intake?

cyber8

Reaction score
City, State
Bergen County, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
So I have been thinking of getting a CAI for my 2012 Explorer Limited. Figured I would ask everyone which one they think is the best one out there? Also does the PCM have to be re-tuned? I own a Roush Mustang, and when I added a CAI to it I needed to re-tune the PCM. Thanks All!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the only one that was available was from K&N... I actually just dropped by car off at Injen Technologies in Pomona, CA and they should have the R&D finished by Friday on my new intake! I have the 3.5L NA. I would love a tune if one was available...

I would love to hear your feed back. I have a 3.5L NA myself as well. I was looking at the K&N CAI. It looked nice.

Hey, I got the K&N 77 for my 2011 exp lim and is awesome!!! sounds and rides very but very awesome!!! dude you should get it! the place I found it with the best price was in autoanything.com

No tune needed? Plug and play?

No...just install it and you are good to go!!!

Well here's an intresting response from AirRaid.
I guess anyone intreasted in getting them to make one for us start emailing.

here's the link to the EcoBoost version.
http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=450-260

Thank you for your inquiry. Currently we do not have not anything in development for the 2013 Explorer however I have noted your request in our lost sales file and while I cannot make any promises our R&D department refers back to this list when looking for new products to develop so we may have something in the future. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Ended up buy a CGS.

I should have just gone with the K&N as I first thought.
It's nice, but seems that the breath hole of too low on the side of the pipe.

The front brace is fine, but the front edge of the filter isn't truly supported and lays on the fender, OEM airbox mounting plate.

Also for those that like the numbers, like me.
With the stock airbox, with snorkel removed.

40 mile drive on Cruise at average 50mph
I take this drive once to twice a month on Sundays around 9AM.
old 18.7MPG now 20.1MPG

GTECH Comp info
averages out of at least 3 runs of not more.
Old
7.956 0 to 60
1/8m 10.461 @ 69.79MPH

New
7.566 0 to 60
1/8m 10.250 @ 71.05MPH

HP/TQ aren't really real world, as not correctly set GTECH or high winds or even temp will affect these numbers, so I don't really use them.

Back