Best cv axles | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best cv axles

I haven't had a problem yet from precision brand at the irish "O" chain store, plus, they swap em out ( warranty) no questions asked every time I tear down the front end for repairs.
That was it, thanks Jon for the brand name. Precision was the new one I got for $90, I liked it too for the fit of the dust seal. I've seen one or more that didn't come with a dust seal, and those are kind of important.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going to do CPR on this old thread because if anyone does a search looking for good CV axles they'll find this thread.

RockAuto has Heavy Duty CV axles with extended articulation for the 2nd Gen Explorer/Mountaineer. They run about 120<> each. I just discovered that NAPA also carries them but they will cost more. Of course you won't pay shipping either.

I'm going to do CPR on this old thread because if anyone does a search looking for good CV axles they'll find this thread.

RockAuto has Heavy Duty CV axles with extended articulation for the 2nd Gen Explorer/Mountaineer. They run about 120<> each. I just discovered that NAPA also carries them but they will cost more. Of course you won't pay shipping either.
Great find traveler! Good to see the price has come down to reasonable.
I got mine at NAPA a year ago when no one else had them, -and paid a lot.

Haven't had any problems with them in the last year. Running freeway, city and 4x4 trails, on 2002 sport trac with torsion twist and 35" tires.

Yea, I work for NAPA and even with the Employee Discount its cheaper for me to get them at RockAuto. I hope to have them soon.
Off topic, but where in AZ are you located?

Dude, I'm in east Mesa

LoL that's great! I'm in Mesa as well.

Are these what you'd put on an otherwise stock 98 4x4? Shop noticed a year ago one of my boots is torn, no noise yet but....

Are these what you'd put on an otherwise stock 98 4x4? Shop noticed a year ago one of my boots is torn, no noise yet but....
you can put them on a stock X! theyre made for long travel, or if you do lots of offroading. but yes you can put them on a stock X!! i say do it! then you can do TT shackle too!

you can put them on a stock X! theyre made for long travel, or if you do lots of offroading. but yes you can put them on a stock X!! i say do it! then you can do TT shackle too!
Well I have a 400 mi. round trip planned for the fall. Intentional off-roading limited to snow piles in the winter. What would I do/benefit from a TT shackle, don't know what it is or application for it.

Well I have a 400 mi. round trip planned for the fall. Intentional off-roading limited to snow piles in the winter. What would I do/benefit from a TT shackle, don't know what it is or application for it.
tt and shackle just lifts it slightly to clear bigger tires/make it look cool :D but no not really necessary 🤣

for your use maybe the normal CVs would be fine, these may be stronger, but for normal use, the normal ones would probably be fine.

tt and shackle just lifts it slightly to clear bigger tires/make it look cool :D but no not really necessary 🤣

for your use maybe the normal CVs would be fine, these may be stronger, but for normal use, the normal ones would probably be fine.
Thanks for the explanation, going to keep my P235/15s at least a year or two if they don't go flat or dry rot. Not putting a lot of miles on the Green Hornet anyway!

Thanks for the explanation, going to keep my P235/15s at least a year or two if they don't go flat or dry rot. Not putting a lot of miles on the Green Hornet anyway!
how many miles/years on the tires?

how many miles/years on the tires?
2018 tires. I put about 1600 on them, don't know about previous owners but they looked close to new when I got it. Goodyear Wranglers, seem like a soft type tire but lots of tread.

2018 tires. I put about 1600 on them, don't know about previous owners but they looked close to new when I got it. Goodyear Wranglers, seem like a soft type tire but lots of tread.
thats not bad!

I have one new Ford CV axle coming Monday if the tracking is right. I found it from an eBay seller I have bought several NOS Ford parts from recently. It's a Mazda right CV axle for the later Rangers and the cousin pickup they make. It also should be the same as all of the 95-01 2nd gen Explorers. I'll check it when I have it in hand, but for $90 and the Mazda parts guy said it should be a new axle, not remanufactured, it's a $375 axle. They had three left when I bought this one, I'll post a link if I think it's the right part. I need one for each side of my 98 Mountaineer that I robbed parts to fix my Black Coal truck. I have the other axle in my cart with Rock Auto, those are about $120 with shipping being $12 for one, and $6 more for the 2nd one.

Back