Best gen Explorer?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best gen Explorer??

Absolutely, I like the idea of not buying someone's prob, what I'm most concerned about. That's why I was considering another engine. I'm pretty clueless about what can and can't be swapped out. What is the 4.6 and how do I know if the trans would work.
You would need to swap the engine and transmission to get a V8 installed. Also, the wiring harness will need to be swapped or modified in addition to any other components. IMO, this is not as simple as one might assume and it would be costly to pay someone to do it right. If not done properly you could spend a lot of money trouble shooting any number of issues. I think you would be better off selling the one you have and putting the funds for the swap toward buying a 4th gen V8 model or something else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You would need to swap the engine and transmission to get a V8 installed. Also, the wiring harness will need to be swapped or modified in addition to any other components. IMO, this is not as simple as one might assume and it would be costly to pay someone to do it right. If not done properly you could spend a lot of money trouble shooting any number of issues. I think you would be better off selling the one you have and putting the funds for the swap toward buying a 4th gen V8 model or something else.
Ty I'm not in a position to do expensive transformations lol wish I had the funds to even keep it to fix later. I will miss the ride she's my first grown up I enjoyed driving lol

The 4.0 SOHC engines aren't bad really, they just need some big attention more often than most people are used to, and Ford(service recommendations), do not recognize the need for the special care. When they don't have old timing chain parts in them, they are very powerful and efficient for a 4.0 engine. It may be worth paying someone to replace the engine with a rebuilt unit, but that would depend on your local area and sources for the work to be done etc.

I'm bias to the first gen when it comes to the Explorer. I like the boxy yet flowing aesthetics, the simplicity and the twin traction beam. It's more truck like than the later versions. It's also fun to watch my alignment guy, (personal friend) go into convulsions when I need alignment work.. He was a mechanic at a Ford dealer when they were new and into the early 2000s. He is intimately familiar with that generation of Fords.

First gens have more influence from older cars in them than the other generations do, and have the most amount of usable technology (electronic fuel injection) compared to older cars, that makes them more user friendly.

I'm a driver, I want control. I could care less about the progression of the feature creep in today's new cars. However, I really like the automatic windshield wipers on my 2011 Mercedes GLK but at the same time, I had a blast putting 200 miles on the Model A last weekend. The first gens fall in the middle of those two, it's something that is as comfortable and simple as it is reliable without having to be babysat. If you've put any kind of mileage on a pre 1930s car, or anything with a carburetor for that matter, you'll know what I mean. There are also 11 computers in the Benz, and I can only interact with the federally regulated parts of it.. it's a techno ticking time bomb that I'm relegated to have to let someone else work on if things go south.

My second favorite Explorer, would be the 4th gen for the body style. They just have a refined and elegant look about them, especially the Eddie Bauers. The current body style looks good, but there is something about them that just hasn't captured me yet. I can't quite pin it down, but the base models that usually make up fleet vehicles, have the weirdest looking grill. If it's not chrome, it changes the whole shape and feel of the front of the vehicle especially when the paint color is other than black. They also are big vehicles. The Explorer has kind of lost the feel of what they started as, (a 2nd gen Bronco 2).

Maybe it's just my old car bias and the fact that I favor smaller SUVs over other vehicles for commuting, but the first gen definitely tugs hardest at my heart strings than the others!

God this ones hard I've owned 2 explorers and driven and basically called 2 more of them my own I originally feel in love with a 91 sport little rusty but still beautiful on the inside I loved that damn stick shift I never locked my hubs in unless I truly felt the roads were to messy or 4x4ing. Now the 2000 2nd gen is a limited yes it has sohc which is meh but it runs amazing has the big axles in it and everything plus I put it back together after a wreak I want see if I can't get my hands on an abandoned 91 that's out about 20 miles from me but thats beside the point moving I drove a 98 ohv back in high school that I cherished and called mine even with the transmission having no reverse and I've driven a 03 v8 that thing was fun till it started giving us shifting issues and the motor ending up with a low end knock overall like 1st are the best 2nd gens are great 3rds in my opinion just take real good care of them 4.6s don't have nothing to say about the other gens except 6th is way to computerized

Back