Best Place to buy a new Viscous Coupling unit (BW4404) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Place to buy a new Viscous Coupling unit (BW4404)

soloist3

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer 5.0V8 AWD
So, yes, my 4404 VC is failing. I am thinking of just putting in a new VC rather than a complete rebuild as it only makes noise on extreme left and right turns and doesn't leak (plus once I have the case open I will be able to see if everything is ok). I have since taken out the front driveshaft and everything is fine but I am going to need AWD capabilities come this winter or else I won't even be able to get to work.

Also, junkyards in my state want, at the cheapest, $350 for a used 4404, which already has 86k miles on it; so getting a cheap used one is out of the question. Where would the best place to get a new VC for the 4404 be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No takers? Nobody knows where you can find a new one of these crazy fluid filled, 35 bladed, sealed hubs?

I contacted drivetrain.com and at least got somewhere though the price is a little little steep, considering I can get a new or rebuilt case for a few hundred more (from them mind you). Anyway, any leads on a VC for a 4404 would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for one too for my brothers Ex. We've about decided to buy a used unit. If the local pick yard has one, we're looking at 70 bucks.

I asked drivetrain.com too and they quoted me 349.00 plus shipping just for the coupling. RIDICULOUS!

hello guys transtar part 345550 they are new with 18month warr. about 288 to 300

I know you're not trying to sell out from under our forum supporting vendors... Contact Rick if you want to advertise.

Back