best replacement sub, and can i use an 8"? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

best replacement sub, and can i use an 8"?

toddious

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
winter park, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 4x4
i was thinking of replacing my stock sub, because i think it's blown. i think because i have a 96, that i have the 6.5" sub right? i was wondering if anyone has ever replaced it with an 8" ? also, what speaker would anyone recommend to be better than stock, but not too extreme? i also am planning on using the stock amp, which i'm sure isn't to powerful. anyone have any recommendations, or experience replacing theirs? thanks, todd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just blew my sub too! Doing some searching I've been told an 8" will fit with little "triming" Now to find an cheap but good 8"

RE 8s will pack a punch

If you're talking about putting an aftermarket 8" (that would be the size of the factory sub) Then your most cost effective option would be to pickup a Ford 8" sub. That factory sub amp and sub isn't very good, but you'd be wasteing money to get a high dollar sub and run existing electronics.

I ran a 8" Rockford Fosgate Sub. I cut the factory box to make it fit.
The sub worked great.

caldi55 said:
I ran a 8" Rockford Fosgate Sub. I cut the factory box to make it fit.
The sub worked great.

did you run it off the stock amplifier? todd.

I pretty sure I used a 4 ohm sub. I was told the factory sub run at 6 ohms resistance but I dont know if thats true

My Bro has a 10 in there. He also have a pioneer amp on the factory amp rack.You can't fit the factory cover back on, so we surrounded it with checkerplate. A chrome flamed sub cover,It looks really cool. The 10 does not sound as good as it did in it's own box, but better than the 6 and now he can get his bike in the back.

Get a JL 8" W7
That will hit, but you will need a new amp

what if i get a JL 8 w0 ..... will i need a new amp for that? todd.

If you get a JL anything, you will most certainly need an amp. The only problem with those is, you will not be able to use the stock enclosure. It's not big enough, and it certainly isn't deep enough. Have you seen the basket on the JL subs?! They're HUGE!! You'd have a sub sticking 6 inches out of the enclosure! There is very little room back there...

I take that back. A W0 might work ok. They're 75w rms, so they might work with the factory amp ok. You'd have to modify the stock enclosure a little, as it has an inch of extra depth, but that's not bad when compared to the W7. The only beef I have with the stock amps is 2% THD. That's a bit much, but if you're not overly crazy about the quality of the sound as I am, it's ok.

I'm in the same situation (I want to replace the OEM sub in my '03 Audiophile system). What really bothers me - and I know I shouldn't complain about free advice!! - but when someone asks for a replacement sub recommendation that doesn't need an amp and won't break the bank, DON'T recommend that the poor guy get an 8" JL sub that costs $300 and runs 400W RMS!!!! He'll most definitely need an aftermarket amp AND have to replace his wiring (as I'm told)!!!

Anyways, I have a quick question- I'm looking for more punch in my system, but not a lot more- I don't mind the quality of the OEM sub because it is a family car, but I understand that the HU has a high pass filter on the front speakers. IS this true and is there any way to disable that WITHOUT changing out the HU or rewiring the entire truck?

Thanks a ton.

i can get by with 2% THD from my sub in my car, since i have about 300% THRN (total harmonic road noise) going on anyway. in my studio at home however, only .015% THD will cut it. todd.

BLUE SKY MONITORS, system one
http://www.abluesky.com/p_s_gb/p3s1.html

tworedballs said:
Anyways, I have a quick question- I'm looking for more punch in my system, but not a lot more- I don't mind the quality of the OEM sub because it is a family car, but I understand that the HU has a high pass filter on the front speakers. IS this true and is there any way to disable that WITHOUT changing out the HU or rewiring the entire truck?

Thanks a ton.

Get a JL 8" W7

haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

... yeah ha ha :rolleyes:

Back