Beargap

Reaction score
City, State
Bear Gap, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'21 XLT
Callsign
WA4THR
Our 2008 Mountaineer Premier needs new tires. The current 235/65R18 Michelins (not the LTX series) are remarkably worn at just under 30K miles. Because of the amazing results I have had with the Michelin LTX M/S tires on my '97 Explorer I was looking to get those, but had some sticker shock when I saw the price for the 18" size is almost double what I paid for the 30x9.5R15 tires on the Explorer. Questions:

1. Is the LTX M/S still thought of as the best (traction and very long life...almost 100K on the Explorer)?

2. The only 18" option in the LTX M/S is the 245/60R18. Same overall tire diameter, is that width OK on the stock wheel?

=Vic=

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too had the same issue with the Cross Terrain tires, 35k and they were shot. Too bad for me when my first set wore out there were no other light truck type tires available in that size and I was forced to drop another $1,100 on the same tires. Fast forward to Dec of 2009 and I again was faced with winter conditions and 4 tires below 2/32nds. I got around $250 from Michelin for the premature failure (how $1,100 worth of tires that wear out at 30k with a 60k warranty provides you with less than 25% of the acquisition cost I have no clue). Fortunately the tire shop let me use the credit on another brand of tire.

I went with the Goodyear Fortera Triple Tread. I have about 6k on them now and am happy with them, a bit more noise than the Michelin's but great traction and ride quality. I think those were around $1,000 for the set but don't remember exactly.

The Michelin LTX series tires are very good. I have a old set of LTX A/T's on my explorer and they have 80K on them with a lot of tread left. I think these tires are going to be at the point of dry rot before they wear out. In my opinion they are worth the extra spent up front. As far as the width question I'm pretty confident you'll be fine.

You'll be fine going even wider than that on the stock rims -- as long as you can find someone to mount them. It's not easy these days -- finding shops to install "non-OEM-sized" tires -- especially on Explorers.

No more Michelin's for me :( After only 50,000 miles - mine were shot ! Do some independent research on consumer feedback on tires to check on mileage, quietness, etc. I went with Cooper this time. :)

No more Michelin's for me :( After only 50,000 miles - mine were shot ! Do some independent research on consumer feedback on tires to check on mileage, quietness, etc. I went with Cooper this time. :)

Wow, I wish I could get 50,000 miles out of any tire.

On my 97 Explorer, I had about 30,000 miles on my Goodyear Wrangler GSAs, but got rid of them and put on some Firestone Destination LEs, because the ride from the Goodyears was so bad. It looked like they MIGHT have made it to 50,000 though.

The Firestone replacements had about 25,000 miles on them when I sold the truck and looked like they were only about half worn. And they rode nice. So I may go with the Firestones when my 08 Mountaineer needs tires...Which I think is going to be soon. The stock BF Goodrich Rugged Trails are not looking real good with less than 10,000 miles.

As far as Michelins go, I've had them factory stock on three different cars and never once got 30,000 miles out of any of them. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Or, maybe Michelin car tires are just overrated. But regarding what you all say they want for their truck tires, forget it. There are plenty of other alternatives out there. Aren't there?

Chris

I went with the Cooper CS4 Touring radials. Very quiet and minimal wear so far and a vast improvement in handling. 26k on them so far. Just wish they came in OWL like the Michelins did.

Well, the more research I do the less I am impressed with the Michelin Cross-Terrains vs. my experience with the LTX series. I've had 3 sets of LTX's on my 270K mile Explorer and they all were outstanding in ride, handling, and especially treadlife. But, the Cross-Terrains get less than half the treadlife and are nearly the same price! However, closer calculation of the tire size difference (245/60 vs. 235/65 in 18") on the closest available LTX tire shows I'd be living with a 3mph error on the highway, and I don't like that either, so I guess Michelin is out.

I am liking what I read about the BFG Long Trail T/A Tour. It is rated better than the Cross-Terrain at Tire Rack and is WAY cheaper. Any others with experience with that tire?

=Vic=

my dads 07 has BFG all terrain TA/KO's on her... handles like a dream on and off the road... they are a harder compound and are supposidly good for around 80K miles.

50K on an OEM tire (or any tire) would be excellent for most. I'l be lucky to get 30K on the OEM Fortera HLs. They are rated for 60k:(.

I was not impressed with OEM Cross Terrains at all. LTX M/S2 would be great if I could afford them. I really prefer the looks of AT tires on trucks, but you often sacrifice mileage. LTX AT2 have the least rolling resistance among the AT tires, but they don't look very "beefy".

We loved the LTX's we put on our 99 Mounty, much better than the base Michelins - even my wife noticed a dramatic difference. The Firestones on our 06 are almost gone - can't wait to put LTX's on it and willing to pay extra for them.

I have run several tires on my Explorers over the years on the Gen 2's and 3's and have had a wide array of experiences with several brands. Firestone tires were descent, back in the recall days with the ATX's and Wilderness tires. About 60K mile tires, so long as you kept them inflated around 35 psi vs the 20 some psi Ford recommended. Past experience in 2nd Gen Explorers, Michelin LTX M/S tires were 75K+ miles tires. When I sold this truck, the guy who bought it from me got over 110K miles on this set before replacing with the same tire.

On my current 3 generation, I ate through tires like candy to the point I was thinking my vehicle had a problem. BF Rugged Trails were toast at 25K. Went to a Firestone Dueler H/L, junk tire rated for 60K went 25K miles. Prorated these out and tried the Firestone Alenza. Good tire, 60K miles. Went back with the Michelin LTX M/S2 and have less than 5K miles on them. I paid a pretty penny for these, but I hope to get the tire wear out of these as the original M/S's. Hopefully the total cost of the tires will support their price. Too early to tell, but I have had good luck in the past with the M/S tires.

Toyo Proxes S/T II. I got 45K out of the last set, which were previous generation. Reasonably priced, stick really well.

Well, the more research I do the less I am impressed with the Michelin Cross-Terrains vs. my experience with the LTX series. I've had 3 sets of LTX's on my 270K mile Explorer and they all were outstanding in ride, handling, and especially treadlife. But, the Cross-Terrains get less than half the treadlife and are nearly the same price! However, closer calculation of the tire size difference (245/60 vs. 235/65 in 18") on the closest available LTX tire shows I'd be living with a 3mph error on the highway, and I don't like that either, so I guess Michelin is out.

I am liking what I read about the BFG Long Trail T/A Tour. It is rated better than the Cross-Terrain at Tire Rack and is WAY cheaper. Any others with experience with that tire?

=Vic=

the 245/60-18 is shorter then the 235/65-18 tire, your speedo would be reading about 1 mph faster then your going, as for width w/stock rims 265/60-18 is about as wide as you can go!:usa:

255/60 would be the same size (height) as stock.

^ Check treadepot. There's quite a few offerings.

I have Cooper CS4 also. They ride dead silent and smooth. They are rated for 80,000 miles but I dont plan on having the vehicle long enough to find out. I just traded up from a set of Uniroyal Laredo that passed for new after 14k. I am liking the Coopers for ride comfort and low noise...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aslong as you have good balls joints and rotate every 3000-5000 miles, BFG All Terrains last pretty good. I got over 5 years with mine and almost 60,000 miles. I inflate them to 38 PSI and have a great alignment guy. The only reason I replaced them was because of weather checking and cracks along sidewalls. Could have prolly got another year out of them according to tire guy, ut I felt better just getting new BFG's. Same tire of course, great all weather and off road grip.

Back