Best tuner for Explorer Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best tuner for Explorer Sport?

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
13 Expo Sport 88gt&90gt
I have a 2013 Sport, and I am curious what tuners everyone is using. There is a Diablosport T1000, and SCT X4 7015 for sale locally. Which is better? any help would be greatly appreciated. ty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2013 Sport, and I am curious what tuners everyone is using. There is a Diablosport T1000, and SCT X4 7015 for sale locally. Which is better? any help would be greatly appreciated. ty
I run the sctx4 and absolutely love it, so many different parameters you can change to fit your driving style.

depends, the X4 can have the factory/canned tunes put out by SCT which seem to be very conservative, then there are tunes made by 3rd parties for the X4. The factory/canned tunes are free from SCT just by downloading them (use a wired connection, the wifi usually is miss or miss), or you can pay extra and have 3rd party tunes for an additional cost if you have already bought the device. There are a few other pieces of hardware out there that will reprogram your vehicle but it all depends on the tune in them and what you are looking for? Max power on 93+ octane? Many of the tuning devices can also be used as gauges to monitor your vehicle when plugged into the vehicles OBD/service port, some have better displays than others..

I just got the SCT 7015 (X4 Model) from SSI a week ago. I loaded it all up on Saturday. All I can say is dayummmm!

I was running my 15' Sport 50% of the time in "Sand Mode" for the throttle response time and for the more aggressive transmission shifting to stay/keep ahead of the "Slot-Car-Racing" style merging on I-285 "Perimeter" pace for my inner city commute to and from the suburbs. After I loaded the 93-Octane tune I'm happy to say: that running this SSI tune with 93' Quick-Trip gas I've yet to feel the need to put "Ellen" in Sand-Mode. I'm getting better throttle response in the Normal Drive mode than with the stock Sand Mode and the output result is significant more engine pull at quarter press gas peddle push even! I'm getting 1.1 to 1.3 MORE Miles Per Gallon for sure. I went from 6.1 to 6.2 in (0-60) time to 5.25 to 5.35 (0-60) time as well. Best yet, that stink of carbon monoxide smell after getting on her Wide Open Throttle when ran in stock is now 100% gone! The stock program/ "Tune" is way too rich of an fuel to oxygen ratio. It needed to be leaned out; of which the SSI 93 Octane Tune did... to a "T" so to speak! Put it this way... when I would do a 2 hour detail once a month I would finish the clean job up with wiping out the duel exhaust pipe tips because they were soot black, every time in 2 days time. I was shocked to notice that even though I've been running my Explorer Sport with this 93 Octane Tune and having a lot of WOT time playing... that the polished aluminum or chrome exhaust tips are 95% just as clean as they were Saturday when I wiped them clean. It's got noticeably more power, getting over a MPG in fuel consumption, the stink in WOT is 100% gone, and 95% of the nasty soot in the tailpipes is no longer present. Best yet, I've still got: (2 Custom Tunes Coming/Owed to me), from SSI... I'm going to ask for something 2 hairs more potent than the 93' Tune and a "Tow" tune just to have/run on file. So to answer your question: I went with the SSI tune with the "X4" Tuner and couldn't be happier...

sct with custom tuning or livernois tune with their programmer

I had the SCT X4 and now the Livernois. Both very good but I believe Livernois has the most technical experience tuning EcoBoost motors.

I had the SCT X4 and now the Livernois. Both very good but I believe Livernois has the most technical experience tuning EcoBoost motors.
Also IMO livernois has the best shifting. They might not have the most boost compared to others but that is not always a bad thing. Safe boost is better than too much boost for longevity. By no means am I saying they are slugs. There is definitely a night, and day difference from stock

I'll add another "ditto"... They are local to Ford Engineers, and do a LOT of research in pre-production. Many of us local Ford guys go to Livernois for our tunes. My 2015 Mustang Ecoboost was their actual test mule when they dynoed to report their test results. VERY pleased with their work.
p.s. Again - Livernois _hardware_ looks like an old pager scrolling text, while others look like a smartphone... but once you load the program, I leave it. IMOHO, I dont care.

Also IMO livernois has the best shifting. They might not have the most boost compared to others but that is not always a bad thing. Safe boost is better than too much boost for longevity. By no means am I saying they are slugs. There is definitely a night, and day difference from stock

I cant wait till the 2020 Explorer is released next year. With around 400HP with stock. I just wonder if they could tune that new inline engine closer to 500HP. Will see if Livernois can help Ford with that tune.

Sorry guys for the wait on response I have been out sick. But we actually no longer carry the mycalibrator for the ford vehicles. We upgraded to our new mycal touch. Biggest difference is a touch screen tuner that is extremely easy to use. You do have the ability to data log and chart. Now some vehicles even have ability to change tire size. Here is a link to the new tuner and it will be same tuner in either package or when you buy individually. Thanks again

Livernois Motorsports

@Livernois do you have an upgrade/trade-in program to the MyCal Touch for folks that have the old MyCalibrator?

Sorry guys for the wait on response I have been out sick. But we actually no longer carry the mycalibrator for the ford vehicles. We upgraded to our new mycal touch. Biggest difference is a touch screen tuner that is extremely easy to use. You do have the ability to data log and chart. Now some vehicles even have ability to change tire size. Here is a link to the new tuner and it will be same tuner in either package or when you buy individually. Thanks again

Livernois Motorsports
I can attest to that! I just installed Livernois Tune with the new Touchscreen Tuner and it was almost too easy... :)

Ordered and received my Livernois calibrator and sent in my tune request yesterday. My 3 Bar and K&N filter (not CAI) we’re also delivered. Can’t wait to see how this beast is transformed! In Seattle for a long weekend so hopefully when I return home I have the tune and will report back.

In Seattle for a long weekend so hopefully when I return home I have the tune and will report back.

Enjoy your time in Seattle the weather wont be too bad...…. just ignore all the homeless people sleeping/camping on the sidewalk.

Hey everyone and thank you for all the great things you do for us. We have been doing the 3.5 ecoboost since the start. We have such dialed in tunes on these and they pick up so much power. Also if you add the 3 bar map sensor to read the extra boost for 75$ you get tremendous gains. Here is a link to our most popular package which gets a 70hp and 90ft/lbs to the ground. Also if anyone is coming to our track day tomorrow we will have fastest cylinder plaques. Thanks again and call with any questions mu name is Jake number is 313-561-5500 ext 126.
Livernois Motorsports

Jake,

Do you recommend this package for the interceptor eco boost Twin turbo PIU explorers also?

I am interested in either of the turners more for the better gas mileage. Whats the increase in Gas Mileage you all are seeing from these upgrades?

I am interested in either of the turners more for the better gas mileage. Whats the increase in Gas Mileage you all are seeing from these upgrades?

I'm running the Livernois 91 tune right now, I'm not really sure there is a mileage gain from the tune, I was looking for better performance. Livernois will do an economy tune if you want it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok I will reach out to Livernois

Based on the feedback from this forum and talking to some of the Ford engineers Livernois seems to be the most experienced at tuning EcoBoost engines. Not to say others aren't good at what they do, just that Livernois has the most experience being so close to Ford in Dearborn.

Back