• Register Today It's free!

Tune advice for Explorer Sport

Ryan327

Reaction score
City, State
Carmel, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
I've searched a few threads, but still haven't seen much at all about tunes. Would really like to pick up some power! I've seen the livernois tune but haven't heard from people on results.

I'm not familiar with any of the ford tuners and who else is offering any alternatives, but am open to options!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've searched a few threads, but still haven't seen much at all about tunes. Would really like to pick up some power! I've seen the livernois tune but haven't heard from people on results.

I'm not familiar with any of the ford tuners and who else is offering any alternatives, but am open to options!
365 HP isn't enough?? Are you using premium gasoline?

Peter

Yes, I run premium and it really doesn't feel enough to me. Guess I'm just used to faster more responsive vehicles. Torque management feels way too high and the car is always trying to get into the highest gear possible in warp speed, so then you've got to go through at least two downshifts just to get back into the power.

most that have the livernois tune are reporting good results...

I'm waiting for a few more miles and some of the tuners that do the 150 ecoboost to get into the fray....

tuned our little 2.0 turbo audi and got 65Hp from the 211 stock...
on my recent turbo diesels 120 to 200 hp bumps were not unheard of...

a conservative tune for the ExSport should give somewhere in the 80 to 100 hp increase and maybe 100 to 120 lbft down lower where I like torque (used to turbo diesel in the 900 lbft range that push you back in the seat in 2k to 3k rpms !)

here's a thread I've been following --> http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3159542#post3159542

What tune on the audi? i have a 2010 A4 2.0TFSI with the APR stage 1 tune, very nice pickup in torque, just meh for hp...really the way the car should have came though!

I'm thinking the same thing with my Sport, might have to wait for a few more to enter before deciding. I just didn't know what Livernois name is like in other platfroms like the F-150, Taurus, and such.

I'd like to see the tunes pushing the Explorer at least to F-150 numbers, if it's not getting close to that they we are getting cheated, while i love the numbers under the graph, it needs some more up to too. 100 hp in a tune is a bit much, but 40 hp and 100 ft lb would be great

What tune on the audi? i have a 2010 A4 2.0TFSI with the APR stage 1 tune, very nice pickup in torque, just meh for hp...really the way the car should have came though!

I'm thinking the same thing with my Sport, might have to wait for a few more to enter before deciding. I just didn't know what Livernois name is like in other platfroms like the F-150, Taurus, and such.

I had a custom revo tune done by a well known Audi guy that's just around the corner from me:
Don Istook has been building and racing audi's for a LONG time...
google him...
(in fact he was in the middle of tuning his tt rs and took me for a ride in the monster)

http://oneighturbo.com/audi/audi-tt-rs/don-istook-takes-delivery-of-first-audi-tt-rs-in-u-s/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJAZl4YodgY

Sit tight, Lund Racing will have something available soon for our explorers. Ken from Lund Racing already went 13.5 in his explorer, tune only.

Sit tight, Lund Racing will have something available soon for our explorers. Ken from Lund Racing already went 13.5 in his explorer, tune only.

I'm trying to wait till our warranty is up before we throw a tune in it, but hopefully by then Lund, and a few others get into the game and have some more tuned explorer sports out there!

365 HP isn't enough?? Are you using premium gasoline?

Peter

Many of us are coming from vehicles a lot faster than minivans and soccer mom mobiles, and while 365 is a respectible start, it's not "fast"....and there's never such a thing as "enough" horsepower!

and that 365 is at the crank - so guessing 20% parasitic loss and you are at 300+- ? at the wheels ...

sometimes it's tough to leave something on the table that's easily and cheaply obtained :)

Im very please with the results from our Livernois tuning. There dyno showed 75 WHP and 142 WT at 2700RPMS. There is definite seat of the pants feel with this tune.

Im very please with the results from our Livernois tuning. There dyno showed 75 WHP and 142 WT at 2700RPMS. There is definite seat of the pants feel with this tune.

I have heard good things about Livernois, but would be willing to bet Lund Racing's tune will be top notch when released and better than any other tune on the market.

I have the Livernois and love it. Feels like a different SUV when you hammer down on it. Down low is where it really makes a difference. I use the 93 performance tune. To me, it drives like it should have from the factory. I would definatly recommend the tune. Also if you are a veteran you get a GOOD discount.

on waiting --- sometimes first to market gets to munch on the worm while the later birds go without:)

Lowelife - what about the torque steer when tuned higher ?

our stock sport can pull you sideways in the 1-2 shift !

I was going to take a video and decided I'd get my go pro so I'd have both hands on the wheel next time I tried :)

on edit - now I just ran it in normal mode so far - anything I need to do to get the best out of it ?

sand mode ?
disable traction control ?
?????

If I'm going to play around and launch it off the brake I usually have it in sand mode. This gives it a good spin in first kepping the rpm's up and second gives it another small wheel spin then third hits pretty hard. Torque steer is not a factor then. In normal mode torque steer is still there but better than stock.

dare I ask...mpg changes with the mentioned tunes??

I just tuned my Xsport with Livernois 93 Octane Tune last week. I couldn't be happier. You can really feel how much more powerful the car is now. I only have 2,000 miles. I initially wanted to wait for a few more tunes to come out before deciding but couldn't wait.

As for mileage it is showing 14 MPG but I've been driving the car much more aggressively since tuning.

I also feel confident that Livernois will continue to develop on the Xsport platform. Hope some Downpipes are available soon.

Although I can't comment from experience, and depending on what is actually affected by this 'tuning', from what I've read and heard is that if it increases HP then usually it also results in fewer MPG due to an increase in fuel consumption.

Peter

We actually seen an increase in MPG. I don't know if it was the engine wearing in or the tune but it did increase the same time I put the tune in it. When I talked to the rep at Livernois before ordering I asked about the MPG and he did say that people have been seeing 1-2 MPG increases.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We picked up 1.5 avg mpg w/ the livernois. My wife averages 20 mpg in mixed driving which is 2 mpg better than the Buick enclave we replaced.

Back