best way to add bass w/o sacrificing cargo space | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

best way to add bass w/o sacrificing cargo space

speedydave

Reaction score
City, State
Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 4wd
I'm driving a 1996 4dr Explorer, bone stock except for the CD deck. The speakers in my Ex are stock but are amplified (premium speakers? I'm not very familiar with the audio stuff..) and the deck I have is a Pioneer 4600MP. While the Pioneer/stock speaker setup sounds pretty good, I'd like to get a little more bass out of my system. I know adding subs is pretty much the only way to do this, but I don't want to sacrifice much, if any, cargo space (I need to be able to fold the rear seats down and lay stuff flat, which subs would get in the way of). Is there any way to get some more bass into the audio setup in my Ex without sacrificing my cargo space? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

q-forms sub box that replaces the pass. side cargo pocket will not be in your way. Or a custom made box that fits back at the same place. I think you can accomidate either a 8 or 10" sub there.

Anyone have any ideas about the 3rd gen Explorers?

Thanks for the advice guys. Any idea as to where those boxes are sold? I'd like to buy locally instead of online if possible (local = Fry's, Best Buy, Good Guys, etc).

I scored a used one on eBay for $30 + shipping. Still sitting in my garage. Haven't got around to tearing apart my Ex to install it yet. ;)

I would also suggest looking for a subwoofer box designed fora jeep wrangler. I know they are some of the smallest boxes available.

ntrpriz said:
Anyone have any ideas about the 3rd gen Explorers?

JL makes one for 3rd gen.

That JL is almost perfect! I have the rear air option though. Think they would have made one for the passenger side where the cargo net is!!

I have the 10" JL one. Got it off of Ebay used with a busted woofer for $60. I replaced the woofer with the correct one, & it works great. I also had the Q-logic one with a JL audio Sub in my old X. That worked fine too.

you could try the bazooka tube 10' subwoofer.. i believe the come with a built in amp ..check with your car audio provider to be sure

ntrpriz said:
That JL is almost perfect! I have the rear air option though. Think they would have made one for the passenger side where the cargo net is!!

thats exactly where it is. you have to take out the cargo net and all.

On the 3rd generation explorers, the bass module is designed for the drivers side, right where the auxillary air conditioning equipment is.

Back