Best way to launch 5.0 AWD Explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best way to launch 5.0 AWD Explorers

So recently I went against a 3.0 V6 Fusion. And damn those mo fo's are quick. I had two runs against one both from rolls. First one he pulled hard even though he got a slight jump. The 2nd one from about 30 I pulled decent at first but he began to pull back as I was entering third gear. It's had me thinking even though he's got 6 gears compared to my 4, what are the best ways to take advantage of what we got? What are the best possible shift points in a roll? I know theres a few at 30,45, 55-60. Also is it better to drag with O/D on or off for our trucks? I'm just curious of any little tidbits I can do to maximize what I have availiable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly? You can do this and that with shifting and maybe gain a 10th or so (in a basically stock NA vehicle) but, when it comes to beating someone, you have to have the "power to weight" ratio on your side. You'll have to have a higher power to weight ratio because of the aerodynamics and parasitic drag of the heavy vehicle.

I’m guessing for you -
240 HP / 4800 LBS = .05 HP / LB

From what I gather, the 3.0 V6 fusion makes 240 HP and the car weighs 3446
240 HP / 3446 LBS = .07 HP / LB

That’s a really rough estimate, and torque curves play a role, but usually you’ll be able to tell what’s going to happen when doing this. (if you take driver errors out)

What would it take to beat this guy? I’m thinking you’ll need at least 336 HP to hang. (4800 * .07 = 336)

OR

Take 1354 LBS off the truck somehow….Or a combination of the two.

As far as launching - Hold the brake with your left foot (hard) rev the motor to build rpm (don't sit there like this long)...when the arms drop let off the brake and ease into the throttle...after about a second you should have it floored. Practice to see how far you can throttle before the truck moves.

Now do the same thing - Hold the brake (hard) put the truck in neutral....flash rev the motor to about 3500 RPMs (you should feel the brake go down a little bit more, good keep the pressure on it) put the truck back into drive....You should be able to build the rpms up a little more...The trick is get the motor revved as high as possible with the truch staying in one place....And again, you don't want to sit long doing this as it will heat the tranny up, not to mention the added pressures from holding the vehicle still.

If you do this, and race the guy from 0 to 30 or something, you may be able to beat him?

Try fallin asleep at about 50+/- mph and crossin ovEr to opposite side ditch, hitting a 4',45degree (or stEeper ) driveway embankment( situated 90deg.to road ) and flying according to bonner county sheriffs deputy estimate 67' w/20+' between tires n gods green earth...landed it and with the assistance of. Some well placed trees 30ish feet from Edge of road atbottom of 12'deep ditch came to complete stop in less than 20',after eXiting my dual mode '02 4x4 xlt. And shakin turd down my pant leg. I surveyed the carnage...all four tires aired n mounted,radiator apparently intact,so I tried the key. Nada. Popped hood and saw batry shifted fwd n pulld neg cable out of terminal. Fixed that then brushed glass off my seat. Started rite up. Backed up abit aimed up ditch bank and ralleyed out! As I was parked on next driveway bank cutting the barb wire from around rt.rear tirenrotor, sheriff ended up showin up...ended up with a day off work($200), beat up rig($$$$????), bruised ego($?),ticket for driving left of center($85), the ride of a lifetime!(Priceless!). And she still drives like a dream. Now able to morph into MADD MAXXX...stay posted.<br />
<font size="1"><i><font size="1"><i>Posted via Mobile Device</i></font></i></font>

The best way I have found to launch my 5.0 AWD Ex, is to not floor it all at once! I put left foot on brake, keep contact with right foot on gas. Then, I kinda... well, feather it down! For some reason, if you floor these things they dog out!

Can you expand apon that? I've always held the brake, got it up to I think 2500rpm is far as I'll take it and let off and floor it at the same time.. the launch has always felt rather soft. What exactly do you mean to gradually hold throttle? I mean how much 'better' could the launch be with less throttle at that moment?

I never said "gradually hold the throttle" I said "FEATHER IT!" In other words, don't go straight to the floor. They dog out when you floor them for some reason. Its more of a "Roll on" the throttle like they teach in motorcycle classes.

Come to think of it I have noticed these things bog down if you floor it off the bat. Would this affect it from a roll as well? It's almost like AWD hurts it well because its catching the wheel spin but it may as well be RWD because you kinda need to roll into the Throttle. Nice tip, BTW this has nothing to do with trying to beat that Fusion. It just has me thinking. I already knew what I was getting myself into when going up against him. If I really wanted to get him, it would be time for a 347 stroker engine.:)

I've noticed my **** isn't slamming into gear and acceleration isn't so.... blah.. idk.. when I do this and I put the pedal to the floor, but not.. like 90%. Anyone know what's actually going on?

awd eats power, the 2wd trucks are so much snappier and responsive.

Try fallin asleep at about 50+/- mph and crossin ovEr to opposite side ditch, hitting a 4',45degree (or stEeper ) driveway embankment( situated 90deg.to road ) and flying according to bonner county sheriffs deputy estimate 67' w/20+' between tires n gods green earth...landed it and with the assistance of. Some well placed trees 30ish feet from Edge of road atbottom of 12'deep ditch came to complete stop in less than 20',after eXiting my dual mode '02 4x4 xlt. And shakin turd down my pant leg. I surveyed the carnage...all four tires aired n mounted,radiator apparently intact,so I tried the key. Nada. Popped hood and saw batry shifted fwd n pulld neg cable out of terminal. Fixed that then brushed glass off my seat. Started rite up. Backed up abit aimed up ditch bank and ralleyed out! As I was parked on next driveway bank cutting the barb wire from around rt.rear tirenrotor, sheriff ended up showin up...ended up with a day off work($200), beat up rig($$$$????), bruised ego($?),ticket for driving left of center($85), the ride of a lifetime!(Priceless!). And she still drives like a dream. Now able to morph into MADD MAXXX...stay posted.

:notworthy Best way to launch ! :notworthy Made me laugh.

awd eats power, the 2wd trucks are so much snappier and responsive.

I have heard 2 different things about the AWD's. 1. The slipt is 80 rear and 20 front at ALL times. 2. the split is 70 rear 30 front at ALL times, unless more is required up front do to slippage at rear. I have had mine since '01 and it has been trial and error about getting best off the line reaction from it. An once again, I have found that stomping it dogs it. A good roll on is way better!

Converter is 2500, you can hold brake down and rev to 2500, then let go and punch at the same time, works great. I beat my brothers 2002 explorer SOHC all day with or without this trick with my 97 AWD 5.0. But when I rev it just beats it that much better. Get a Xcal2 and get an E-mail tune from hensons. That will make a huge difference! Get a 91 performance tune for $50 and a used Xcal for 200ish. TMH and catback too and you're movin!

Back