Better to replace ENTIRE AC compressor or just the ac clutch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Better to replace ENTIRE AC compressor or just the ac clutch?

NewShockerGuy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Ranger XLT:2.3L
So more of a general question. I believe the air gap on my ac compressor clutch is now too large. There are no shims to remove and it's 12 years old... I was looking on ebay and a new compressor clutch is about $120 for a motorcraft... A new AC compressor with new clutch and everything else evap canister is roughly around $210... is it better to just replace the entire thing or replace just the clutch.

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3L...

Anyone replace it before... I have all the AC tools to refill and vaccum the system so I am not concerned about doing it again, but just wondering what is best?

I don't have access to a junk yard, so what is best for a replacement and where to get it from? ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27086510689...em=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Is it better to get everything from RockAuto and pay for the Motorcraft name for the compressor, and drier and oriface tube..etc? If I get the kit above it seems to come with the things that need replacing. If I go rockauto I'm going to be spending about 500 bucks...

At the same time I am pretty sure it's the AC clutch because when I tap it with a wood handle it starts spinning up again. There are NO shims on the screw holding the clutch on the compressor so it appears that it's worn away...

Also where does one pour the pag oil in on the compressor? Do I just pour it in on the suction hole on the back of the compressor?

I'm not afraid to replace things I just want a working AC for the summer because it get really hot and humid here in VA..

Thanks,
-Nigel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'd just replace the clutch, but i understand your logic. as far as where you put the PAG oil, some compressors come with oil in them and some do not. read the info that it comes with carefully. if you can't add the oil directly into the compressor, putting oil in the suction tube should be okay, the oil will circulate throughout the system. if you do change your compressor, you need to change your accumulator, orifice tube (if so equipped), flush the system (and have receipts to prove you did these things) for the compressor warranty. i'd also add an in-line a/c filter on the suction side to be safe.

Thanks for the info.

This seller made this listing as he said his other one wouldn't work with a 2.3l ranger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/28106474004...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=281064740045&_rdc=1

Does that seem good?

I guess is there a problem pieceing together parts?

I don't understand how the drier on rock auto can range from $15 for one brand then go up to $55 for the Motorcraft one...

If I go with just the motocraft clutch it's around 120 bucks without shipping.. so I figure spend the extra 100 to get everything new right?

Is frigette a ok brand? I've never heard of it. I have heard of Motorcraft,Four Seasons, Denso. I was going to get the Denso ac compressor on rockauto because it's listed as OE replacment..

Just wanted to make sure I get everything correct.

-Nigel

Motorcraft doesn't MAKE compressors, they just order parts from various manufacturers, with the Motorcraft logo on top.
Denso is one of the manufacturers, sourcing parts mostly for GM, but sometimes they work for Ford too.

Motorcraft is always the most expensive. the dryer is just a can with a desiccant bag inside it. i wouldn't spend the extra money for Motorcraft. also check Amazon for pricing. i often find that Amazon works out to be less than RockAuto because more expensive purchases qualify for free shipping. same parts, even quicker delivery and no "stocked in out lying warehouse" B/S.

Thanks for the information.

So on Rock auto they have the Motorcraft YCC277 compressor which looks like this:

getimage.php

Amazon has the same part via ycc277 but it looks like this... their site also states it's compatible with a 2001 ranger xlt 2.3l but the ports are different. I need them in the back, and the picture has them on the top?
Since I have prime free shipping and hassle free return is very appealing but just wanted to make sure... I know sometimes their pictures aren't right but it appears rock auto looks correct with what my compressor looks like with the ports on the back and the three circles on the front...

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-YC...=1360852285&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcraft+ycc227

41WF5Ru4WiL._SS500_.jpg

Is there a specific motorcraft part number that will fit the 2001, 2.3l ranger?

Thansks,
-Nigel

Nigel, look on Motrocraft site with your VIN. They will tell you what compressor you need, and you can take that as model for others.

Sonic thanks for the information.

When I put my vin on the website there I get about 12 different compressors...hmmmm None of them being that one I bought from amazon above.. however going to Oriley's

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MOT0/YCC227.oap?pt=02645&ppt=C0354

Does show this being compatible.. so that's good. I did just as you said and bought most of it from amazon. Free shipping and was much cheaper than going through rockauto.

Only thing I didn't get that wasn't motorcraft was the accumulator since you said $50 didn't need to be spent on it. So I got the 4 seasons one...

-Nigel

So I ordered the Motorcraft compressor... This may be a stupid question but how do I know for sure if it has oil in it when I get it. Is it something that when I remove the back plug on the two ports oil will just pour out when I hold it upside down? I just want to make sure that if it doesn't have oil I fill it, and if it does have oil I don't add to it, causing a problem..etc.

Thanks,
-Nigel

I always go by the rule, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Replace the clutch assembly and be done with it.

there should have been a tag on the compressor, or a warning in the literature regarding oil. if there's no indication, i'd unplug the compressor and see if there's oil in it. don't assume there's oil in there. just don't unplug the accumulator until just before installtion.

regarding pic's of parts on line, they're often just representations an not necessarily the actual part. if the mount is the same and the ports and electrical connections are the same it should work fine. it's just a pump after all.

Back