• Register Today It's free!

big 3 fusible link

lamar5271

Reaction score
City, State
wilkes-barre, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 xlt
i noticed that there are 3 fusible links between the alternator and the battery. im gonna leave it there my question is should i put a fuse in-line between the alt. and battery when i add my 4 gauge wire. would it necessary sounds better. thanx

03 xlt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just added a wire...run the wire there it will see no high heat and double loom and tape it. No fuse necessary.

All main power wires must be protected by fuses etc. Without one that wire will flow current until a fire starts. The fuses etc. are to blow on purpose instead of a fire.

The fuse size needs to be thought out carefully. select it based on the wire size, consult a reliable chart for wire gauges and fuse requirements. I would guess that a size near 100 amps might be close, but don't guess. Good luck,

Most off-roaders run it straight from the Alt to Batt.

To be honest, you won't see any improvement what so ever in changing that wire- if you still use the factory alternator. The wire can handle the current, and will not get any more. There is a great thread at DIYMA discussing exactly this. Lots of super intelligent and highly trained/educated guys over there.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29572&highlight=fusible+link

After reading that thread, I don't think I'll change any wire that contains fusible links.

Just add wire, and leave the stock wiring.

I think for 4 gauge wire, you need a 150 fuse. That is what I am planning on using when I try a Big 3 upgrade.

To be honest, you won't see any improvement what so ever in changing that wire- if you still use the factory alternator. The wire can handle the current, and will not get any more. There is a great thread at DIYMA discussing exactly this. Lots of super intelligent and highly trained/educated guys over there.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29572&highlight=fusible+link

After reading that thread, I don't think I'll change any wire that contains fusible links.

Are you talking about not changing the fusible link??? Isn't that a wire small enough that it would just burn up and cut the circuit like a fuse but with out using a fuse??

Or are you saying adding a battery to alt cable isn't worth it???

The addition of a wire there is all about having additional power requirements from things like high powered stereo or lights. Usually a more powerful alternator is part of the changes.

Are you talking about not changing the fusible link??? Isn't that a wire small enough that it would just burn up and cut the circuit like a fuse but with out using a fuse??

Or are you saying adding a battery to alt cable isn't worth it???

Both, unless you can get a proper fusible link that will work WITH your new wire. If you add a new wire it will be unprotected and basically negate the factory link.

The addition of a wire there is all about having additional power requirements from things like high powered stereo or lights. Usually a more powerful alternator is part of the changes.

Now you're changing the rules of the game. With a higher output alternator, you will most definitely need a larger guage wire. Unfortunately, I hate fusing larger wires since the holders are always so bulky, but it must be done since I've never seen a fusible link that can be added properly in that situation. Think about this, though. Most people upgrade to 200 amp alts since they're generally easy to get. Over the 24-36" of wire from alt-battery, you'd really only need 2ga wire.

i actually did see an improvement because the alt to battery wire was only one of 3 wires. i also got a fancy negative batt terminal, made a new body ground and a ground to the alt case in addition to the factory body and engine grounds. the lights still dim though. im trying not to buy a new alt but i know a capacitor is only a temp. fix

I did upgrade my wiring because of a few new circuits(30amps being the largest), and a better 170 alternator. I did not change my original wire, I added an 8ga. wire to help with the additional load. But my 99 truck has a built in high amp fuse bar at the PDB, thus I only needed to add wire. Evidently some newer vehicles still use fusible link wires, I never liked those.

For dimming lights begin with voltage checks while the dimming occurs. Likely the alternator isn't producing enough power. Regards,

Back