Big Horn Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big Horn Problem

rollinstone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I pulled the horn/airbag assembly so that I could replace the L/H cruise control switch light bulb. New bulb works just fine, but the CC ON/OFF switch still doesn't work. While checking out the posts regarding the CC, bulbs, etc. someone mentioned a connection between the CC and the horn.

Here's my problem: I reattached the horn/airbag package. Then I went to reconnect the negative battery cable and just about jumped out of my skin as the horn blasted me a good one :eek:! Obviously there is a short in the system somewhere, but it's odd that it should occur right after messing around with horn/airbag package and not earlier.

I took everything apart again, checked all the visible wires and connections in the horn assembly, checked all the fuses, relays and circuit breakers, reassembled everything, and still the horn gives a blast (this time I was ready). I've had to pull the horn relay in the under-hood CB box to silence the horn. Is the relay bad? One of the posts I found in searching this subject was from a guy who replaced his horn relay and not only did his horn start working, but also his cruise control. Any and all help appreciated.

r.s.

Back