Big White - Ford Racing Powerdyne Installation Thread | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big White - Ford Racing Powerdyne Installation Thread

Josh from ASR automotive took this small clip of Big White at cold idle and a few revs with the Saleen XP8 Ford Explorer Borla cat back exhaust system

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put a couple of the videos on YouTube for those who do not do Facebook

2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 with original Saleen XP8 Borla Exhaust - Big White Ford Explorer

Ford Motorsport SVO Powerdyne Supercharger on Big White Ford Explorer - 2000 5.0 Ford Explorer

Excuse the truck for being dirty but it’s been sitting several months (since June) in the shop

This is an exhaust clip walk around of Big White Ford Explorer which is a 2000 5.0 Explorer Limited with a Ford Motorsport SVO Powerdyne SVO Supercharger, OBX Headers, an original Saleen XP8 Borla Cat back exhaust, a variety of other Saleen XP8 Ford Explorer parts and more…

Sounds best with some good speakers or headphones.

2000 5.0 Ford Explorer with Saleen Borla exhaust, Powerdyne Supercharger - Big White Ford Explorer

Very good. How does it run now, and did the tuner like the result?

Very good. How does it run now, and did the tuner like the result?
I haven’t had a chance to drive it yet but I’m told it is quite impressive. I’ll be posting my impressions soon

I’ll be speaking with the tuner too

BCD9F4A4-D65E-4ADD-A3F5-5FAD7D3F38BC.jpeg

Here is a before and after side profile view showing the difference of the look of the stock exhaust pipe and the Saleen XP8 Borla exhaust pipe

02311C67-26E0-4B34-B1AF-127AA2FFD201.jpeg 39491995-8F14-4EF7-8267-F1A7F4829E6F.jpeg

Attachments

• 02311C67-26E0-4B34-B1AF-127AA2FFD201.jpeg
    02311C67-26E0-4B34-B1AF-127AA2FFD201.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 60

Hi everyone. Something interesting came up. It seems now since all these changes have been made the message center statistics are no longer correct for some of the functions

Instant fuel economy is now showing much higher then what it is in reality. I know this is function is not 100% accurate but the function now is way off base compared to the way that it was before these upgrades

Miles till empty is also completely off but remaining fuel seems to be accurate still.

The only thing that was changed relating to the fuel system was the fuel pump with a 255 L per hour and the injectors which were bumped up to the GT500 ones. Could the computer showing the wrong statistics have something to do with the new tune or can it be corrected with the tune or is there something else that I need to be looking at?

Another thing - on my contour fan assembly it seems that one of the fans might be out of balance so when it’s running the vibration is running through the chassis - very low oscillating vibration. Any suggestions on what I might do to remedy that? Maybe some sort of rubber isolators or should I just change the fan out. Not sure if there’s a way to practically balance one of these things

This is how I have it connected up to the radiator. The assembly was a bit long compared to radiator So at the top it’s close to the radiator coils but at the bottom had to pull it out a bit to bolt it to the bottom support

039EEB98-022F-4527-A669-A4859E47559F.jpeg

Are you sure you did not bend the float arm on the fuel sender when you installed the pump
I made the same changes as you with no problems attall

The fan
What controller are you using
The pulse with modulation can cause s vibration
Mine does it when its spinning up and at 100% duty cycle
Been a couple years now its running fine still

Are you sure you did not bend the float arm on the fuel sender when you installed the pump
I made the same changes as you with no problems attall

The fan
What controller are you using
The pulse with modulation can cause s vibration
Mine does it when its spinning up and at 100% duty cycle
Been a couple years now its running fine still
Here is the fan controller

This fan assembly when it kicks on and is running vibrates the whole truck at a very low hum which has a slow oscillation

As far as the float arm being bent not sure. The main cluster fuel gage works accurately and gallons remaining works accurately in the message center. The only things off in the message centerare the Econ function, miles until empty and gallons used.

I spoke to Russell and he commented about this the following

“You can look at the tune to tell the computer what the higher fuel flow tables are (not sure if that was adjusted with the tune)”

“There is no fuel flow sensor on the vehicle, so the instant MPG is simply calculated based on rpm, throttle input and o2 readings»"

“The MC uses a computated fuel flow input from the pcm (pin 43 on the pcm, lb/pk if I remember correctly)”

and

“Maybe the fuel flow input signal is probably still stock on the tune”

CBE83702-4912-4506-A219-C6A09785CD7C.jpeg

The stock MC is like most Ford units, over optimistic for MPG, and the rest too. I've found them to be about 10% off in the several Fords I have had, 80's and 90's. Altering the actual fuel use will likely make it more noticeable, the system isn't really able to sense any extra fuel consumption versus stock. Your tuner is probably on the right path if it can be adjusted, the PCM fuel use PIN might be possible to manipulate. I have always wanted to look into that, I had to deal with it first in 1998 when I swapped a Mustang MAF PCM into my 91 Mark VII(speed density). I lost the cruise control(inside the Lincoln PCM), but the fuel data stayed fairly normal.

This fan assembly when it kicks on and is running vibrates the whole truck at a very low hum which has a slow oscillation
That control is not pwm
I ended up using little rubber pads
As isolators in between the fan and the radiator
Working well

You are correct that the ECU outputs an inferred fuel flow signal to the message center, but it's based on adding up all the injector pulsewidths & running through an algorithm (with fuel pressure input too) . Thus if you change the injectors this signal will be incorrect (as you have noticed in the MC), idk what software your "tuner" is using to access & change ECU maps but you'd need to be pretty deep into the OEM strategy to find & correct this. My 2c.

Thanks all - I'm scheduled to consult with the tuner on all of this.

Thank You for the input

Here is a new video (with better sound - listen to this on some good speakers or headphones) of BIG WHITE Ford Explorer with a Saleen XP8 Explorer Stainless Borla Cat Back Exhaust System. This is a "cold start" with a couple of revs for your enjoyment.

https://youtu.be/4BCPfXd0QXg

So yesterday I had a consultation with Kenny Brown. He was one of the guys that was modifying explorers the same time as Saleen and Steeda. I believe he was doing it before them.

He mentioned to me one of the things that they did was removing some springs from the transmission. He said he did this because it helped it shift better. Mentioned something about dropping the pan and a couple small springs that are behind some cup looking thing. He said those should be removed.

Since I’ve never been into one of the automatic transmissions anyone have an idea of what he is speaking about? What are the pros and cons of attempting this modification?

:sawzall::usa::whitenavajo:😀

I gotta say my truck is really enjoying these gas prices
Don't mind the stickers looks like the locals are having some fun lmao but I took a picture today

20211123_091840.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I gotta say my truck is really enjoying these gas prices
Don't mind the stickers looks like the locals are having some fun lmao but I took a picture today

View attachment 423746
I know what you mean - especially now I have to put 93 in BWFE. I am a bit west of you so only a few cents cheaper..

Back