Big White - Ford Racing Powerdyne Installation Thread | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big White - Ford Racing Powerdyne Installation Thread

The FlowKooler is a well thought of WP, I would like that one as well as a real Ford WP. The GMB is a hit or miss brand, I think that's what I had from NAPA for my SOHC, and the inlet had a tall rough edge which created a leak(poor casting).

Summit has the FlowKooler 1666 for $99, I'd get that one if nothing else seemed better.
Thanks Don!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford Motorsport SVO Powerdyne Supercharger installation - Part 6

Figuring out the accessory drive belt situation with new tensioner.

The manually adjusted tensioner that was originally supplied by Ford Motorsport SVO seemed to not be the best solution with the accessory drive belt. Old posts from people using this kit have complained about accessory belts squeal and difficulty in properly adjusting and keeping the tension adjusted with the manual tensioner. There were some posts during the earlier 2000s/2010s on Explorer Forum where one poster had spoken about using a GM spring tensioner to do the job better and avoid future belt squeal.

After playing around and modifying the supercharger bracket to hold the spring tensioner, finally was able to get it mounted up and then had to try a couple different belts since the one included with the kit was not sized correctly for this new GM tensioner. 🤞
74920AF0-B80B-4454-BDFD-4B5858BE18CC.jpeg

D3775F4A-C6AD-4CB6-9E60-F49877AC0E3A.jpeg

9D050488-EFC4-457F-8C5C-1580C546725A.jpeg

9FF8867D-AEAA-4AC3-83D0-B99FCE95FECD.jpeg

9EB75831-A06C-4345-AB56-18E39B844A2C.jpeg

E3CCF452-339C-4F87-83BC-A5A5CB7DBA40.jpeg

34F14EB4-9B87-4C8F-995D-27E562CBACF7.jpeg

Looking great!

Big White Ford Explorer electric cooling fan solution - Ford Contour Dual Fan Assembly

So I have been debating on which electric Efan cooling fan solution to use since we are going to ditch the mechanical clutch fan and go electrical. I’ve been torn between the Black Magic 180 and this Dual Fan assembly from a Ford Contour.

Reading through some old posts it seems that this dual fan assembly might be a better solution and provide more consistent cooling than the Black Magic 180.. The CFMs of this Contour assembly are a tad higher ( I think) than the black magic and it’s possible the dual fans might provide more consistent cooling than the single fan of the black magic. The cost of this Ford Contour assembly is much less than what is charged for the black magic 180. I could not find any additional benefits that would justify the higher cost of the single fan solution. Hopefully this works as it’s intended. 🤞
0C57E36E-B3A4-429E-8F33-CDF57C05F542.jpeg

I tell ya that black magic fan is great and no problems yet

I think both of those fans are fine choices. The single fan though is harder to fit, with the motor right in front of the water pump shaft. So the Contour fan is likely easier to fit in a 302 Explorer.

Ford Motorsport SVO Powerdyne Supercharger installation - Part 7

Mounting the Powerdyne Supercharger head unit.

We started mounting the new head unit. You can see the new pulley from 928 Motorsports (2.80) has replaced the stock 3.0 pulley that came from Ford Motorsport SVO.

We decided to go with some larger washers on the supercharger belt tensioner because the ones that were included with the kit were just really small and flimsy - thinking that these will do much better.

Still some clearance issues to figure out. Not liking how the AC line is sitting on top of the Supercharger outlet. Also since we went with a pulley change the belt that was included with the kit is too small so working on finding a new belt that will work with this revised pulley.
DE82CBF1-AB49-48BC-932F-4F2485517605.jpeg

6104D39E-7ECC-4E2C-AAD6-48A140AF7847.jpeg

758A87AB-CDA2-4DC1-A82E-78ACEF29B903.jpeg

4455286D-A8D3-49BF-B252-ECADACC62B99.jpeg

Ford Motorsport SVO Powerdyne Supercharger installation - Part 8

More progress today.

Had to makes some changes to the ignition coil mounting platform and throttle linkage bracket due to the new 1” upper intake spacer. The throttle bracket and linkage now connected up to the 75mm TB.

90mm MAF sensor, air box and filter mounted.

Found a new properly sized belt for the supercharger and everything was able to be tensioned up properly with the included with the kit tensioner.

Going to possibly fab up some aluminum tubing to replace the plastic / rubber tubing that goes from the MAF to Supercharger and from the Supercharger to the TB. Doing this since the distances have changed slightly due to the new upper intake spacer.
A6FE75F9-7C69-4B14-B847-DA2F9E78547D.jpeg

C89FFAC1-4A91-4E7A-AE12-671E6AC4D184.jpeg

317AF974-2800-45AF-A4DC-1FB5D8E0CD1F.jpeg

5E93C220-A8D7-493E-984C-A54B12181213.jpeg

70EE9CEA-21AF-45AD-9531-080C69D37565.jpeg

A86C94C8-9DBB-4A47-8AF9-A38CC368C823.jpeg

4096A7D7-A6E3-49ED-B9E7-41FD48134C2F.jpeg

FE7296FB-381B-42A6-AA1A-ACB0129465BA.jpeg

9081C649-2E5D-4139-8290-873B61E8880C.jpeg

I wonder how the tuning will go with the temp sensor in the maf
I had trouble with it on my v6
This install is nice keep it up

I wonder how the tuning will go with the temp sensor in the maf
I had trouble with it on my v6
This install is nice keep it up

Good thought, that IAT needs to be in the intake tract with the boost, after the heating.

Which aftermarket IAT did you use, that may be a good choice for his too?

Good thought, that IAT needs to be in the intake tract with the boost, after the heating.

Which aftermarket IAT did you use, that may be a good choice for his too?
If he does go that route I'd recommend this

Motorcraft - Sensor Asy (P) (DY1159)​

1628553623795.png

OK so I saw this quote on an old post.

Quote - agree with Justin, place it after the supercharger, nearest to the intake manifold. The affect is more accurate inlet air temperature readings for the PCM. The tune is affected by that, it will be more accurate to tune it there instead of at the air filter.

So I am thinking unless I misunderstand that there is an iAT built into the 90 mm MAF. So will I still need to put another one in the tube after the supercharger?

Yes, the six wire MAF's have one built into it, I guess it's better for OEM to merge the parts into one. The IAT is fragile, the early type placed in the intake manifold ports would degrade over a long time with so much PCV material going past them. I think that newer design is made to last longer, at least it looks like a protected sensor(the clear coating over it).

Disconnect the wires from the maf splice them to the new sensor
You won't use the sensor in the maf

Hold-on,
Is the centrifugal blower placed before the MAF? Oops I see it is not

If so, I see no reason not to use the MAF IAT if the blower is in the intake track before the MAF. The idea is to get the air intake temp after the blower and before the engine heat of the manifold effects your IAT sensor. The closer you put it too or in the intake manifold the more likely it is to get heat soaked from the engine heat.
Side note, mine is a twin screw Kenne Bell which discharges into the lower manifold. The IAT will get heat soaked (in the lower manifold at number 5 in my F150 lower). It will not drop below the engine temp here in the summer. It is still workable as the EEC won't start pulling timing and adding fuel till an IAT of 210 degrees. That is high enough above the engine temp to still read the higher intake temp, for the EEC to tune on the fly and perhaps save the engine from predetonation.

I like that you added the bypass and many of us run a lower temp thermostat to combat higher temp from supercharging. I run a 180.

Hold-on,

If so, I see no reason not to use the MAF IAT if the blower is in the intake track before the MAF. The idea is to get the air intake temp after the blower and before the engine heat of the manifold effects your IAT sensor. The closer you put it too or in the intake manifold the more likely it is to get heat soaked from the engine heat.
Side note, mine is a twin screw Kenne Bell which discharges into the lower manifold. The IAT will get heat soaked (in the lower manifold at number 5 in my F150 lower). It will not drop below the engine temp here in the summer. It is still workable as the EEC won't start pulling timing and adding fuel till an IAT of 210 degrees. That is high enough above the engine temp to still read the higher intake temp, for the EEC to tune on the fly and perhaps save the engine from predetonation.

I like that you added the bypass and many of us run a lower temp thermostat to combat higher temp from supercharging. I run a 180.
Goes like this. Air filter, MAF, aluminum tube, Blower, aluminum tube, TB, then intake

Hold-on,

Also plan on running a 180 thermostat and BOV

If you have an electric fan for cooling in a boosted vehicle, it would be best to get the coolant temps down as much as possible. Then the coolant has less affect on the intake and IAT temps, plus it leaves more room for heat gain from lots of throttle, or high Summer heat.

I have a 180* in my 99 work truck, and I used the electric fan to keep the temps around 185 or so. It was steady in that range all year long.

If you can put in a 160, then with a fan and a good controller, you can make the engine temps run just above that, 170 if you like, or 165 etc. It's adjustable in the best fan controllers. Mine was a DCC controller, which is a one man company and most everyone loves his(Brian is his name) products. I used a pin switch to set mine at about that 185 level, and it stayed within a few degrees of it in 95*+ weather.

The point is that with a top level electric fan and controller, you can determine where the coolant temps run. It can't be any lower than the thermostat rating, and you ought to keep it a little away from the actual opening of the thermostat to let it stabilize.

Ford Contour Electric Fan on Big White Ford Explorer - It Fits!

With some minor modifications the electric fan from the Ford Contour definitely fits on my 2000 Ford Explorer. There was a bit of concern that there would not be enough clearance with the Ford Motorsport SVO Powerdyne Supercharger pulley.

With about 3500 CFM we hope this will be a good efan conversion option for this Supercharger install.
E575C0F0-1A03-4562-AC63-4CC03FB030B7.jpeg

9C43D94A-E265-4620-B1E3-8566EC7A20B6.jpeg

71F36581-6C4E-46DC-A5C9-B3D996FD42F4.jpeg

234BA20A-77F7-475E-9827-F4867FFE478D.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that a 1 row radiator
I'd go 2row
But that may affect your fan
I see its inside the rad
Loving the pictures

Back