• Register Today It's free!

Bike Rack Help

jborn23

Reaction score
City, State
Roswell, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019, Ford Explorer Sport
I bike a lot and with my bike rack on I hear the whine/beep of the complaining rear parking sensors every time I back up.

For the short term I’d like to know how to disable the rear parking assist sensor or better yet adjust it so it starts sensing 3-4 feet away from vehicle.

Long term I’d like to get some sort of trailer camera parking assist sensors combination that could be installed on the end of the bike rack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When in reverse, is there anything that pops up on the dash display that lets you press a steering wheel button?

... or cycling through the menus, something like "Turn Off Rear Parking Aid" or "Rear Park Aid" ?

I'm doubtful that there is any way to set it to only sense further away when something nearer is within its field of detection. Even a firmware designed for a different distance and detection strength, would be more likely to only be able to do the opposite, not detect things as far away and only alert beep for nearer objects than the default distance.

I wonder if it's possible to relocate the sensor so the bike and rack aren't in the way?

I bike a lot and with my bike rack on I hear the whine/beep of the complaining rear parking sensors every time I back up.

For the short term I’d like to know how to disable the rear parking assist sensor or better yet adjust it so it starts sensing 3-4 feet away from vehicle.

Long term I’d like to get some sort of trailer camera parking assist sensors combination that could be installed on the end of the bike rack
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
In checking the Owner's Manual, it doesn't seem like either scenario is possible. Is it possible to adjust the carrier so that the bike clears the sensors?

Peter

^ I imagine there has to be at least a temporary disable function, or else how would anyone tow with it? Hmm, maybe part of a tow package, IDK... jborn23, does yours have a factory tow package?

I will dig around a little...

Here's how on a '21 F150:

Here's some random Ford:

Ford Edge:

I believe a switch was added to the 2020+ models that allow the sensors to be turned OFF when towing but I haven't found anything on the 5th gen.
Edit: Just found this using the Search feature. Rear Parking Aid
Not sure if it helps.

Peter

You can disable the rear park assist but it also means you won't see the backup lines on the reverse camera. When those lines turn red that's when it beeps. It can be toggled on/off from the vehicle settings using the steering wheel buttons.

Wow! All sorts of options to try. I'll check later today on disabling the rear parking assist before I start my drive.

I do have the towing package which is why I'd love something that plugs into the towing port that supersedes the rear bumper sensors and cameras that I could place on the back of my bike rack. Currently the backup camera is all but unusable with the bike rack on and the rear parking sensors are constantly complaining.

I have two different bike racks and both have the same issue and really no way to adjust the height of the bike rack.

I have a bike rack on my 2013 and I have left the rear park assist on because I still like to use the lines for parking. You can turn off the warning once in reverse (left side menu) and it will remember until the car is shutoff (then it resets).

Back