• Register Today It's free!

!!bilstein 5100!!

xsportx

Reaction score
City, State
Brampton, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport
OK, I have a 2002 sport and need new shocks!! I wanted a set of bilstein 5100 or 5150's but I cant seem to find anything for my truck.

has anyone ran these on their truck?? or know anyone that has em??

any help is appreciated big time!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 5100 and 5150 is a custom offroad shock made for lifted applications. It is a universal type shock so you will not find one listed for an Explorer.

You need to measure your shocks and see how much travel they have and then go through Bilstein's chart to find the part number shock with the same travel as the ones you want to replace.

I run a 10" 5100 at all 4 corners on my Explorer but I have a custom lift and some parts I modified or built to allow me to do that.

1 last thing, those shocks come with different valving options. For a single shock you want the stiffest valving which is 255/70.

If your truck is stock, you probably just want to run the Bilstein HD series shocks.

The 5100/5150s are taller for lifted applications.

Plus with the HD shocks, you get custom valving spec'd by Bilstein engineers for your particular vehicle. They also usually cost less, and have a lifetime warranty.

Soooo what if I have shackles, tt, and f150 springs?? Do they make the 5100 for a lift like that or is it for bigger lifts like a 4"??

Also how are the HD's compared to sumthing like rancho RS9000XL??

I'm looking for the answer to this too!!!

Shackles, TT and such usually only gets you 2" of lift, so probably not enough to take advantage of the 5100s, but if your lift is closer to 3-4", maybe they will work.

In either case anything lifted well over stock will probably overextend stock length shocks, so you'd probably want to either research what stock shocks from other vehicles (F-150, etc) will fit and work well with the smaller lift, or get Ranchos or something made for the lift height you have.

Rancho RS9000XLs are nice if you want an adjustable system, but they are expensive. They seem to be the ticket if you want to go from a cushy ride to a firm, sporty ride though.

Bilsteins are about the best top of the line monotube shock out there, and give absolute control. They are not adjustable, and can be pretty firm sometimes, but seem to give a nice highway ride and still be firm in corners or when wheel travel control is needed.

It comes down to personal choice really, maybe price and availability come into play, but either would probably be better than worn out old shocks or putting cheap shocks under there. Still, new cheap shocks are better than worn out old cheap shocks.

My 5100s just came in today. I read alot of review and have heard no negatives. Im swapping everything to my new ex a 96 5.0 limited. I cannot stand the superlift shocks, honestly if they werent there i woulddt notice a difference. Sooo i found directly from bilstein shocks that will work. The fronts are from a 4" lifted wrangler and the rears are from a full size cheby. The only thing us for the rears i have to press in bar pins on the top side. BUT i do have a tad more up and down travel compared to the super lift bs shocks. So the xompressed and extended length i beleive were ab inch more all around. I paid 66 a peice for all four, cant wait to swap lifts and get these puppies on!

Back