• Register Today It's free!

binding when turning

dynamite196

Reaction score
City, State
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
I have a 97 explorer sport with control trac and recently have acquired a binding/grinding when I turn sharply left or right. It usually does it when I turn left sharply (forward or in reverse) however occasionally it does it turning right as well. I also noticed the 4wd hi and low lights blink randomly (usually I get 3 blinks but there is no set time pattern) and the speedometer is off (it reads about 15mph when the truck is standing still). This leads me to think that maybe the 4wd is stuck on however that doesn't explain the grinding noise (or does it?). It's to the point that I can't turn without constantly giving it gas and obviously it shouldn't be doing that. Any ideas?? thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, I am getting the same issue but it has gotten really bad in the last several days.

Usually when I come out of work after an 8 hour shift and the truck has been sitting. After I start it up, I back up and the front wheels like lock up and the grinding starts. I park in a garage and when I try and turn to go down levels there is a lot of resistance and creaking metal noise. After about 15 minutes of driving it does go away. The light used to blink 4 hi, 4 Low once in a while, now they are doing it like every 15 seconds.

Sometimes if feels as if the vehicle is dropping into 4 low by itself, especially around corners and when backing up.

4 or more years back I had the Ford Dealer install a new transfer case shift motor, as my ride got stuck in 4 wheel low. about 6months after they installed the new shift motor, I started getting the blinking lights and occasional binding. I did bring it back but they could not find the problem.

It seems to bind up most when the weather is very hot or very cold. I am a bit worried as my X has enough power to snap the axle or turn the front gear box into junk, if it decides to bind up hard and I push through it.

I have an appointment at the dealer to get the cruise control recall fixed next week, I hope she lasts until that long.

I have a 97 explorer sport with control trac and recently have acquired a binding/grinding when I turn sharply left or right. It usually does it when I turn left sharply (forward or in reverse) however occasionally it does it turning right as well. I also noticed the 4wd hi and low lights blink randomly (usually I get 3 blinks but there is no set time pattern) and the speedometer is off (it reads about 15mph when the truck is standing still). This leads me to think that maybe the 4wd is stuck on however that doesn't explain the grinding noise (or does it?). It's to the point that I can't turn without constantly giving it gas and obviously it shouldn't be doing that. Any ideas?? thanks in advance

This is a speed sensor (VSS) problem. And I'm not 100% sure but I think its the speed sensor at the rear output of the transfer case.

This used to happen to me except not as bad, but the 4wd lights were pretty annoying. I just took mine on a big trail trip with some of my buddies, i beat the crap out of it all weekend, including accidentally hitting a mud hole were the water was deeper than the top of my hood, and after my engine quit water started pooring into my doors. i crawled out the window hooked up a tow strap and got pulled out very quickly. after removing the waterlogged airfilter the ol' explorer fired right up, and now runs like a champ (much better than before) there are no more noises or lights to speak of. Thats what i'd recommend! (not really, it just worked for me)
mud.jpg

frnt_pass.jpg

frnt_drv.jpg

explorer_sig.jpg

This is a speed sensor (VSS) problem. And I'm not 100% sure but I think its the speed sensor at the rear output of the transfer case.

are you saying the binding is due to the VSS problem or the speedometer being off is caused by the VSS (or is it both?? lol) if i'm not mistaken that's a magnetic sensor (i know there's a fancy name that goes with them, just cant remember it right now) so i should probably be able to clean it up right? BTW, the transfer case was replaced by the previous owner so it shouldn't be anything mechanical IMO. thanks for the help.

are you saying the binding is due to the VSS problem or the speedometer being off is caused by the VSS (or is it both?? lol) if i'm not mistaken that's a magnetic sensor (i know there's a fancy name that goes with them, just cant remember it right now) so i should probably be able to clean it up right? BTW, the transfer case was replaced by the previous owner so it shouldn't be anything mechanical IMO. thanks for the help.
The VSS in the rear of the transfer case is used for the speedometer. Without the VSS, your speedometer registers zero mph even though you may be going 20 mph. But in your situation, it is the opposite. My assumption is that the VSS is no longer varying its output based on the vehicle's speed but rather outputting a constant voltage/frequency -- hence the constant speedometer reading. Change that first -- its cheap and is typically held on by just one screw.

when the 4wd and 4 Lo lights flash does that mean the VSS is bad? happened to me today when i got stuck in snow, what does it hurt if the vss is bad, just speedo is off, mine worked on the way home?

I just thought of something dynamite196 :

unplug all of the ABS sensors -- of which there are three. Unplug the one at the top of the rear differential housing, and the two at each front wheel that connects to a plug underneath each headlight. Then drive your vehicle around your neighborhood, you will get a blinking ABS light but if the VSS at the rear of the transfer case is working, you should get proper speedometer reading. If you're still getting a constant 15mph speedometer reading, then its definitely the VSS at the transfer case thats going bad.

when the 4wd and 4 Lo lights flash does that mean the VSS is bad? happened to me today when i got stuck in snow, what does it hurt if the vss is bad, just speedo is off, mine worked on the way home?
a blinking 4HI/4LO can mean anything 4wd related -- which some times means the transfer case motor.

a blinking 4HI/4LO can mean anything 4wd related -- which some times means the transfer case motor.

oh no, thats what i thought, its still shifting, would the 4wd light and 4lo light come on when i flip the knob to the respective one if its not actually shifiting into 4x4 ? it all seemed fine when i drove back in could it just be a fluke?

It's something in the shift motor. My shift motor is only 3 years old. When I shift into 4 low it takes about 15 seconds then I hear a huge bang and metal scraping and then I know it is in 4 low. This definately seems like something is not working.

I don't think it is the VSS as it seems mechanical and both are problems are similar.

Where is this VSS sensor located? I do have problems with my speedo at times. It will be reading 60 then suddenly jump to 70 without any acceleration, which is probably the correct speed.

Don't know but I think the dealer is going to rape me :mattmoon:

I'm getting confused in this thread :confused: So many people asking different questions :D

Also, for some strange reason it does it the most when I came out of work on colder days. I park in the top floor of a parking garage- the front end is so bound up all I hear is metal binding and grinding when turning the vehicle to the left. It is clearly in 4 wheel drive of its own doing, I touched no switches.

The front wheels are bound up bad but it eventually smooths out in about 15 minutes of driving, the lights still blink on and off though.

it's been hijacked lol, sorry for the confusion but I get a 15mph reading when the truck isn't moving but the speedometer does move up and down with speed. I think it gets fairly accurate on the highway however in the city it's useless.

it's been hijacked lol, sorry for the confusion but I get a 15mph reading when the truck isn't moving but the speedometer does move up and down with speed. I think it gets fairly accurate on the highway however in the city it's useless.
when you turn your vehicle off, does the speedometer drop down to zero?

Also, for some strange reason it does it the most when I came out of work on colder days. I park in the top floor of a parking garage- the front end is so bound up all I hear is metal binding and grinding when turning the vehicle to the left. It is clearly in 4 wheel drive of its own doing, I touched no switches.

The front wheels are bound up bad but it eventually smooths out in about 15 minutes of driving, the lights still blink on and off though.
Probably is a sensor problem.

No hi jack here just trying to help you, seems as if you have the same problem as me.

I will keep my information to myself.

Good luck to you, maybe your best bet would be to put some dynamite under your truck and blow it up.

What kind of sensor problem?? I did not know that there were sensor that controlled on demand 4 wheel drive.

Got more news, seems as one of the codes i'm getting is the 6 flashes of 4wd hi and low lights every 2 minutes. However it is sort of random (doesn't happen every 2 minutes all the time). also, the control trac isn't working as i was able to spin the rear tires pulling out of a gravel driveway today. The speedometer does drop down to zero when the car is turned off.

tried resetting everything today by disconnecting the batter and voila 4 wd worked!!!! if only it had stayed that way because after i took it for a test drive it started flashing again so i guess it's time to change the TC fluid and go from there hopefully that fixes everything

Back