• Register Today It's free!

Black as night

Bstollmaier

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Here's what I did this weekend. Painted all of the chrome with matching body color and I took the headlights apart, ditched the amber, and painted the inside black. Installed amber bulbs.
IMG_4643.jpg

IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_4642.jpg

IMG_4641.jpg

IMG_4639.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would have left the amber on headlights. But your explorer looks amazing the way it is. good job.

what kind of paint are you using for all your chrome pieces?

Thanks. I had the matching base cost mixed at my local shop. It's Omni brand.

Bstollmaier good job one again, seriously your truck is my inspiration.

Love the look of the headlights? Was it difficult to do?

Is this something you could consider going if I sent you my lights?

I have a white limited on 22's and this would make the truck look so much cleaner.

Once again congrats on having the nicest new Gen Explorer out there. But be carful I'm following you close behind :)

@Bstollmaier: What recipe/parameters (temperature and cook time) did you use to open up the headlights apart since these use permaseal adhesive?

Never seen chrome look so good.

what suspension setup is on that and how does it ride? it looks great

Thanks guys. I used a heat gun and slowly worked my way around. Didn't feel comfortable with the oven method not to mention they probably wouldn't fit. Sorry Awmenard but I wouldn't feel comfortable opening someone else's lights. Give it a shot though, it's not that bad. Just a little time consuming.
The suspension is H&R for the Ford Flex. The suspension made the ride ever so slightly rougher. Still plenty comfortable.

Thanks guys. I used a heat gun and slowly worked my way around. Didn't feel comfortable with the oven method not to mention they probably wouldn't fit. Sorry Awmenard but I wouldn't feel comfortable opening someone else's lights. Give it a shot though, it's not that bad. Just a little time consuming.
The suspension is H&R for the Ford Flex. The suspension made the ride ever so slightly rougher. Still plenty comfortable.

Hi! great ride! would you be able to take photos of the parklights on and turn signals too? thanks!

Thanks for the answer, I might give this a go this weekend, maybe...

My wife is tired of seeing your truck, I keep showing her your changes and telling her I have to do the same. :)

How long did it take you?

How did you go about closing them back?

Did you paint or remove the amber portion?

I know I could look it up but what bulbs did you use? I might try to get some switch back LED, have the blinker only go amber when turning.

Any info will be much appreciated.

Mhikeboy, I'll post some when I get a minute. Perhaps this evening.
Awmenard, you made my wife and me laugh. It took me about 1.5 hours for the first light. About 1 hour for the second just because the first was a learning experience. I started at the upper rear tip and worked my way down the top and bottom heating one portion at a time, maybe a few inches at a time. I used a screwdriver and a sharp chisel to help separate the seal from the clear lens and at the same time bend the black housing out of the way partially. Once it's loosened far enough down both sides where you can pry under it and get it to move a little I found it was easiest to sit the heat gun on a work table, hanging over the edge, and holding the light to it heating multiple areas and pulling it apart. If it didn't want to give I would hear more or pry trouble spots. You'll figure it out as you go. Once it's apart it's easy to see how everything is installed. I actually removed the amber lens and painted the reflector and chrome trim inside. I left the chrome ring that says explorer. I also spaced the projectors out about 1cm using standoffs and longer screws that I found laying around. I used krylon fusion paint on them and then topped it with semi gloss duplicolor black engine enamel. I then cleaned out the loose and bulky leftover sealant but left the portions that were not in the way or all screwed up from the heating/prying process. Then I filled the channel with gasket maker (after a test fit) and clamped it together for about 6 hours or so. You could probably use any sort if silicone sealant I would think. The turn signal bulb is sylvania 3457A the side marker is sylvania 194NA. I accidentally bought 3757A but all I had to do was shave part of the plastic part of the bulb and then it fit. The bulb itself was identical. Feel free to ask me any other questions.

Thanks for all the info, very helpful and reassuring. I think I will give it a go, obviously if the wife agrees, I'll se if I can have my brother help me, that way I can do both at the same time, this will have to be an afternoon and night project. Can't have the car sitting for too long.

Well I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.

Please don't forget to post more pics.

I was actually looking at adding some vents, I'm looking at a BMW M5 style... Just a taught.

So what's next on your list?

Cool. Spacers should hopefully show up this week or next. Beyond that I think I'm finished........I think ;)

Cool thanks for the info. Did you install them yourself? And do you know the total net drop?

I just looked at some threads about ppl that tinted the amber and this looks a lot better of course it's more work.

It's just give the headlight a whole new look, more depth.

Once again looks sick. Can't wait to do mine.

Maybe I'll get one on eBay and test it out!

Looks good! What brand of running boards do you have?

Yes, I installed them. I didn't do before measurements but the lip of the fender sits about 30 13/16" off the ground currently and that's with these wheels/tires that have an overall radius 3/16" larger than stock so figure about 30 5/8" with stock wheels/tires. That's assuming your sport has the same tire aspect ratio. Limited stock is 255/50-20.
The running boards are Aries brand.
Regarding the headlights I considered tinting them but I knew that would be the easy way out and I wanted it done right even though I knew it would be more work.

Wow, that is absolutely fantastic!! One of the best I have seen on here!!

Yes, very well done!

One of nicest on here.

Not a fan of the fender vents but the rest looks slick.

Two questions

1. When you painted roof rails did you remove? If so how?

2. Did you change the strut cross brace (steel from one strut to the other) in the engine compartment as part of your suspension mods? I ask because I noticed the OEM Sport one if different design from the Limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Sgt1411,
I removed the rails to paint them. The plastic end cap covers just pop off. Then there are 2 bolts under each one. Once all 8 bolts are removed you slide the rails either forward or backward (don't remember which way) to release them from the center support. Once off the actual endcaps unscrew from the rails from the bottom side.
Basically, remove the endcap covers and it's pretty easy to figure out from there.
No, I left the stock strut brace.

Back