Black-out effort continues on my Explorer (pics) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black-out effort continues on my Explorer (pics)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, perfect response Fearless, and thanks for the compliments! :D The only letter I had to work with was the D, the others were quite easy.

This weekend, I PlastiDipped the lower rocker panels. Door handles and front grill chrome strips are all that remain :D

Explorer_031713.jpg

Hey txaggie,

Your blackout efforts are working. Your Ex looks great. I just got my 2013 Ex and am working on the same thing. I need to tone down all of the chrome accents. Question. Where did you purchase the black roof rails?

Thanks!

Thanks josydez22!! I got the black rails from my local dealer. They are the ones listed for the XLT (or the Sport).

thanks txaggie! I searched a bit more and found them on fordparts.com. I got the part # so I'll do the same and pick them up at my local dealer. I'll be putting them on mine soon will post pics of the mods to my Ex soon. Later!

Looking forward to the pictures. :thumbsup:

Truck is really looking good! Once you get the handles and grille done, it will be complete!

Thanks guys. The grill and door handles are left to do. I plan to remove the strips from the grill to complete them.

Hey txaggie,

Ride is looking good, are you planning to completely remove the chrome strip from the front grill?

I'm wondering if that and the mesh is not the only difference between the regular Explorer's and the Sport grill?

Do you know if the strip can just be romeved or is there some cutting involved?

Good job Tex !

How long does the plasti dip last if done properly ?

Our Tuxedo Black ExSport could use some 'darkening' :)

@awmenard, the chrome strips on the grill are clipped on. Just need to pry them off from the back side after first removing the clips and screws from the top of the grill so it can be pulled forward. Complete removal is not necessary. That being said you don't want to keep the strips off as its pretty ugly behind them. Best bet it to paint them black. The sport has a different grill.

awmenard, yes Bstollmaier has it exactly right. The chrome strips are clipped into the front grill. There are 8 attachment points to the grill on each strip, so you really need to get behind them to pry them out. I plan to do this at some point, as I really want them black. I am thinking though that I might have them actually painted, and not just plastidipped, as I want it to be more permanent.

Good job Tex !

Thanks JohnBoyToo, I'm not going to claim I have done it properly :)
Having said that, I have been really surprised how resilient it actually is. The back chrome strip was done in February, it has survived 3 automatic car washes, 2 hand washes, sun, rain, dirt, dust, and still looks great! The lower door panels were done 6 weeks ago and they are holding up very well. I am a big proponent of this stuff. It is easy to apply, easy to take off, and seems to really last.

Good job Tex !

Our Tuxedo Black ExSport could use some 'darkening' :)

I had plastidipped my entire cayenne s flat black. I did the process myself about two years ago. When I sold it two weeks ago, it was still holding up like new. You can pressure wash it with no problems, just don't stay in the same place for a lengthy amount of time. Avoid car washes with spinning brushes. Also to wash it, use an absorber chamois instead of a sponge or wash rag.

Wow, pretty good longevity then !!!

but means I can't do it - way past enjoying washing my own cars :)

just have to enjoy it through your cars...

JohnBoyToo, you should give it a try anyway. The stuff is $6 a can at Home Depot/Lowe's. Probably 1-1.5 hours of your time, well worth it. BTW, what chrome is left on the Sport, I thought most of the stuff was blacked out anyway?

Your Ex looks awesome, great work. I'm currently doing the same thing to my Tri-coat White XLT :)

The plasti-dip is def. an addiction at this point haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back