Black smoke, rich, no vacuum leaks. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black smoke, rich, no vacuum leaks.

Ford_fever

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport trac
Hi can someone help me.

idles rough, turns off at stops, in park wot jumps. black smoke. leaves black spot on contrete below exhaust.

New sparkplugs
New Wires

codes p0112 p0113, p0401, p0121 and two others i forgot.

dont know where to start lol vacuum leak?
have fuel gauge, going to need a vacuum pump i assum?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One bump per day. Hang tight, you'll get an answer. :)

Checked TPS with vm. .85 at closed, 4.6 wot with key on.
disconnect maf car stays on.
could not detect vacuum leak around hoses and intake
still rough idle, black smoke,

buying dpfe sensor tomorrow

Still turns off ar stop

Put in new dfps still same black smoke. Cleaned maf with rubbing alcohol, wet and dry no touch. Ran great did not turn off at stops. Got to parts store. Turned off on again rough idle again and turns off again. But now no more black smoke and only two codes.

Maf high and intake temp high p0113 and p0103

Probably unrelated to your p0113/p0103 DTC's, but very common causes of stalling and a rough idle. Do one at a time and test.

Cleaning the IAC Motor
http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/CleaningIAC/CLEANING_IAC_MOTOR.htm

Throttle Body Cleaning
http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/ThrottleBodyCleaning/Throttle_Cleaning.htm

Also inspect the PCV elbow, especially the bottom. Very common failure and does NOT always throw p0171/174 trouble codes.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314670

Similar Problem...Black Smoke, Stalls, etc.

I don't recall the codes at the moment, but I have been having the same problem with my 2003 Sport Trac. Black smoke, running rough, stalling at stops, very low power, but then surges from time to time.

We removed the PCV and cleaned it up and then tried to re-install it to see if it helped. Noticed, however, that the valve will no longer stay in place. It seems that the teeth on the valve cover have worn or broken off and the valve thread has nothing to hold onto.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Do I need to replace the entire valve cover?

Thanks

Thanks, Hawaii! :thumbsup:

That sounds like exactly what is happening to mine. I also have an oil leak.

Is it necessary to replace the valve cover or should a new PCV fix the problem?

I have replaced 2 valve covers due to broken locking tabs inside the cover..... 1 was leaking and 1 looked like this !!
I'm sure the owner of MyST.com and Zabteck (Todd Z) would have come up with a fix if possible. I have heard getting
a good seal with oil resistant RTV silicone. After all, PCV valves have a 100k change interval, might be worth a try. GL

Sorry, saw that after I sent my reply. Must read more carefully in the future! :)

Will discus with my mechanic friend and give it a try.

Thanks again!

Cleaned iac
Cleanes throttle body
Sprayed maf down with alcohol
No more black smoke
Finally idles
Does not cut off at stops, only twice in last week.
But now jerks in reverse. I think bc idle is a little high. 7-900.
Did have 2 codes after I cleaned iac and throttle. But now have 4 codes.
P0113 air temp
P0103 Maf high input
P0172 bank 1 rich
P0172 Bank 2 rich

Think idle is high? Should i check fuel pressure? Spark plugs and canles new a month ago. Wonder if fouled when truck was running rich

Back