Black X, what to use?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black X, what to use??

My 2000 is black and it has a few nicks here and there on the hood, the guy we bought it from threw in a bottle of wax which he said when used to wax on black cars would help cover up those little paint chips. I guess I will try it but is there any product and/or products you suggest for detailing a black car? I don't have any power tools so it needs to be a hand wash and wax kind of thing. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about paint chips,but for surface scratches and fading try the Mother's multi step system. You do not neccesarily need power tools (it would make it go a little faster) but not needed.Works very well!!! Even on a dark color. I have to give a big thumbs up on the Mr Clean car washer to.....Just FYI.... very good if you dont want to spend alot of time cleaning up.!!

touch up, or repainting is the only thing for chips.

I am a firm believer in Zaino products. The stuff is fantastic and super easy to use.

Less money Meguars also has some great product, but for lesser results.

wax doesnt come in bottles.... nuff said....

jimabena74 said:

But.... polymer sealants, eg, Zaino goods, do and are much better than wax in my opinion.

jimabena74 said:

Cans ?

Tubes ?

Jars ?

:confused:

So i'm hearing Zaino and Meguires is good stuff, i don't trust myself with touchups so I may have to hold off on that...

Monty..

I also have a black X and I've been looking into fixing some scratches and chips. I have some OEM matched black paint and clear coat from paintscratch.com and I intend to get my hands on some langka before I start.

Here's a thread I started about langka: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131908&highlight=langka

It seems that you use langka to smooth out paint that you apply to the scratches and chips (sort of as a replacement for wet sanding). It seems easy and cheap enough...I have just not been able to find the time to start it...If and when I can get to it I'll post the results.

Lee

Zaino is very good polish, maby the best, however it does nothing to hide scratches, swirls ect.. It does last three times+ longer than wax.
Meguiars NXT does have some hideing ability, lasts longer than just wax and has a great shine. If your not going to polish out the paint w/a machine I would use the NXT.
If you want some, let me know. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132565&page=2

I have a 97 gloss black XLT and I use Meguiars and every once in awhile Zaino.

Back