• Register Today It's free!

Blacking out tail lights?

J-RodG

Reaction score
City, State
Bellefonte, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I was on here last night and saw someone did a how to to black out tail lights using VHT! I'm wondering if and what kind of prep is involved like lightly sanding the lenses to help the paint stick? Please let me know!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well i did it and i have to say it looks awesome!! I'll post pic later today!

im interested in seeing the pics!

As soon as i get off work i'm going to take some and post them!

you said you used vht nightshades? what clear coat did you use and what prep did you do? I tinted my stock tails with the RC tint spray and it looked really good. Then the clear coat I used made them not glossy but more of a flat black, which doesn't look bad but not what I was going for. Also, I guess the clear wasn't that good because after just about 5 months it is slowly starting to fade. It may be fading less than I think because other people tell me they still look black but I can see the parts where it is coming through. I am thinking about tinting my clear tails and I believe they will put out a little more light and I think that maybe I will do some different prep and use vht this time just to compare.

Actually I didnt use any clear at all! As far as prep i just wiped the lenses down with goof off to remove any wax or dirt! They turned out pretty good and i'm happy with them!

did you tape off your rev lights, or do those headlight manifolds allow you to pop them off?

hey J rod, it that black window trim after market? if so, where didya pick it uup! It looks really good.

I taped off the reverse lights! The window trim is all stock!

i did mine with a tinting clearcoat a friend mixed up for me, they look awesome and are solid black but still pass more light then most ive seen.

But! in DAYLIGHT where the sun is in your eyes and shining on the tailights NOONE can see my tailights. So for these couple hours i went ahead and got the LED under tailgate lights for a truck. 3M tape and plugs into the hitch = no more tickets :)

i seriously reccomend you do this it is a safety hazard!!! and you WILL get tickets.

the led light bar cost me 35$ through our shop.

i did mine with the vht and they look great. BEWARE! the more you spray the darker it gets...it takes several minutes of dry time for them to completely darken so you may want to do 2 coats let dry then try another.

Back