Tinting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tinting

Anyone ever try the

Testors spray on translucent Black window tint
Or
VHT black out tail light spray tint

I got to redo my back windows someone did a poor tint job and I'm considering the spray tint on back since they can be darker and then take out my front glass and hit 20% film on them.
And I'm looking at the VHT for my park and tail lights.
If you tried these out give me some feed back please.

You will never get an even look out of a spray can to tint your windows. The testors stuff is for model cars and is hard to get even on the little model car windows. I highly suggest just having them retinted at a shop, or do them yourself using tint from the auto parts store. There are several vids on youtube about tinting windows and it requires only a few dollars worth of tools. I learned a lot on youtube and do all of mine myself.

I got the tools I've tinted several of my vehicles but I hate that line you always have where the black going around the glass is and the fact tint film won't stick to it. I've got a old side glass out of a 95 excab chevy to test it on and see how it looks.
I know they used to use stuff called Flow on before the film came out and it was a spray my uncle told me about it last night. He also said it was hard to get a even tint with.

I got the tools I've tinted several of my vehicles but I hate that line you always have where the black going around the glass is and the fact tint film won't stick to it.

Any decent tint shop will have no problem with tint sticking to the black, or the black dot matrix.

I have had no issues with tint sticking to either. After I get tint done, I always push down the tint on the black, and on the dot matrix, at least once daily until it stays down. Usually, the dot matrix needs the most attention.

On a few Hondas my g/f had, the back glass has a larger dot matrix along the top. My tinter I used knew several techniques to for the tint to lay flat on the dot matrix, and it turned out excellent. Not the ugly "lighter black" where the tint film did not adhere around the dot matrix dots at all.

I do understand your complaint about the "line". Even though I work the over the dot matrix, there still is a slight bit of lighter shade, even though the tint is fully adhered.

You think with all the tech we have now they would have some kind of stain or laser beam that could get it perfect and even instantly lol. I refuse to have those lines even on a bent up old Ford. I'm gonna test the speay tint on this old glass just to see what it looks like and if it can be sanded smooth and even. Ain't got nothin for it to fit anyway lol at worst I mess up a glass I needed to toss out and 6 bucks lol

Back