• Register Today It's free!

Blend Door Actuator Not Working

RobertA

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Thanks to the info on this site, I was able to diagnose my issue with the heat stuck on except when the AC is on max, along with the clicking noise (Faulty blend door actuator). So I replaced my blend door actuator, but now it looks like the actuator is not getting power, because when I adjust the temp. the actuator does not move.

I checked the fuse for the blend motor actuator in the fuse box and it is OK. I know that the blend door is not stuck or broken, because I can move it. I pulled the actuator back out and kept the wires / connector connected to the actuator, then I adjusted the temp range on my automatic temp control (ATC) and found that the blend door actuator does not move at all, leaving me thinking that it no longer is getting power / commands. I also connected my old actuator (the one with the broken teeth on the gears) and this one no longer moves either, when I adjust the temp on my ATC. Any help from you folks would be appreciated, because I am pulling out my hair on this one. thanks Robert

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the diagram i'm looking at show 2 fuses.

fuse # 2 and 36 both 7.5Amp mini. check for power with key in RUN postion.

Cjones, thanks for the suggestion, I checked these two fuses and they are OK. The fuse that I originally check was No. 10 for the blend door actuator. Also, I picked up a blend door actuator from the dealer ($50 bucks) and this has not solve my problem either. So I am still thinking that it is just not getting power. I have not been able to find what feeds the actuator, I am thinking it must be controlled from the ATC somewhere, which may be the problem, but I don't know. thanks again.

my diagram shows all wiring for the blend door coming from the ATC.

there are 2 diagrams...i'm using the one i believe is for ATC.

on the blend door connector. check for 5v at Pin 6 (LG/OG) with key in RUN engine OFF, check Pin 5 (OR/BK) for ground with key in RUN. the A/C probably needs to be on during the checks. Pins 2,3,4 not used. if those are not the wire colors, let me know and i'll send you the colors/locations from the other connector.

CJ thanks for the info, GREAT News, I have fixed the problem. After spending hours reviewing the Ford Tech Service Manual that I bought online several years ago, I stumbled across instructions on how to run a diagnostic test of the ATC by just pressing a few buttons in a certain sequence on the ATC. During this process it tested the actuator, during the test, it actually started working. Not sure if during the tests that it cleared some DTC codes or not, but it now works.

Interesting enough, I reinstalled the Doorman actuator (p/n 604-201) and it still did not work, so there must be some incompatibility issues with the Doorman, compared to the one that I bought at the Ford Dealer. Bottom line is I am back up and running and I could not have done it without the people and information that I found on this website. Thanks to all, Robert

I am experiencing the EXACT same problem. PLEASE post the steps you took for the diagnostic test???

mine also broke last night. how much is involved in getting at the motor and actuator?

FireZingr, listed below is the EATC Module Self Test instructions that I followed. Also, if you don't have an actuator from the dealer, I recommend to get one. The one that I got from Doorman did not work for me nor for a colleague of mine.

By the way the DTC code that I got from running this test was 025, which is Intermittent Run - time Fault for hte Blend door actuator. You might also get a DTC code of 024, which is Self-Test Fault for the blend door actuator. If there is a fault a three digit number will be displayed where the temperature is usually displayed on the ATC. Good Luck

• lThe EATC module self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A NGS tester must be used to retrieve these concerns.

• The EATC module self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display hard Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) in addition to intermittent diagnostic trouble codes for concerns that occur during system operation. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4º-32ºC (40-90ºF) when performing the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false in-car temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed.

• The self-test can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.

• To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed.

• If any DTCs appear during the self-test, follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION for each DTC given.

• If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, refer to the Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Improper Operation.

• To exit self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, push the blue (cooler) button. The control will exit self-test, retain all intermittent diagnostic trouble codes and then turn OFF (display blank).

• To exit self-test and clear all diagnostic trouble codes, press the DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the EATC control assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared.

• Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF).

• Intermittent DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent condition occurs.

Yes I get code 024??????? I took the blend door actuator off and no matter what setting I choose on my EATC the actuator servo never moves.

DTC code 024 means that during the EATC self test the blend door actuator did not respond. Are you using an actuator that you got from Ford? If so, I am not sure what your next step should be. If not, then you might want to try an actuator from the dealer. The first actuator I got from Doorman never worked for me, but the one from the dealer did work after I ran the EATC self test. Good luck.

It's the original actuator that came on the explorer from the factory.

You might want to go and buy a replacement actuator from the dealer. The EATC self diagnostic code (024) indicates that the actuator did not respond during the test, which makes me think that the one you have is faulty. It might be worth spending the $55.00 to find out and see, but its a crap shoot.

It worked!

I, too, had the faulty actuator motor and replaced it (Ford part) only to find that nothing different happened. Then I carefully read RobertA's post about running the diagnostic in order to clear the code and Viola! it worked! Thank you so much for posting these specific steps. You saved me hours and $$$. Great forum.

RE: actuator not working

Again,Explorer forums saves the day!Thanks to all,especially RobertA,My 98 EB has been without air since last summer,I finally got brave enough to do blend door,which was shattered at top,not just broken.Once door was in,I could not get any actuator to work,New,old Dorman.I found this thread,and went through DTC procedure and reset.It works like new,I am able to use original actuator,saving $$$$,Thank You again!:thumbsup::D

Anyone know where the blend door actuator is located on a '06 Explorer?

It is behind the center consol under the drivers side. The dash has to either be removed or cut.

You can get through the dash box ....if anyone is looking for one I have an new actuator for sale

EATC Issues

Runnin through this thing has been a mess, replaced the blend door and am now on the third actuator. I believe that two were faulty from the beginning because they were the doorman aftermarket parts. Got a used actuator out of a deceased 97 with eatc and Not getting anything good out of it either. Self diagnostic throws 024 fail code. When I plug the actuator in and turn on the ignition the actuator turns to one direction until it can't turn any more and the doorman products tried to ignite themselves. This leads me to believe that the feedback loop in the actuator isn't functioning. Any insights? Or more diagnostic tech?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DEFROST clears the codes

I've been reading blend door posts for a while and trying to get mine working. Worst was just trying to get the ATC into Self test mode.

At the end of the self test and it is reading the trouble code, you press DEFROST to clear the trouble codes and reset the system. As far as I could find, the blend door actuator will not function properly with trouble codes still registering.
My original actuator did not work until I got into self test. It showed code 25. I pressed DEFROST and now it works just fine. I now have to replace the blend door.
Good luck
hobie

Back