Blend door question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blend door question.

jjon90

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT 2WD
(92 XLT) Like many, my blend door cable broke off the plastic tab of the controller. (it was like that when I bought it but in the cool position) When I made an attempt to re-connect it (which failed) I had to pull out the cable which caused the blend door to open. With the motor running I could manually work the cable and feel the temp difference (hot n cool, but not cold). However the blend door won't shut completely causing the A/C air temp to be around 80! From reading other threads I learned it was located behind the glove box. I found this to be true but the cable routes between the dash and the plenum box where my fat hand cannot get to. I coupled the heater core hoses and capped off the core inlet/outlet in the mean time to get the colder air.

My question is... Can I manually close the blend door without pulling the dash out?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did. Used a shoe lace & tied it closed. All I care about is max AC in hot south FL. I never use heat.
You will see a cylinder thing the line goes into with a long rectangle metal piece attached to the door. Just take that off & then tie the door in the closed position. I tried zip ties but they didn't hold. Shoe lace worked great.

Jason94sport said:
I did. Used a shoe lace & tied it closed. All I care about is max AC in hot south FL. I never use heat.
You will see a cylinder thing the line goes into with a long rectangle metal piece attached to the door. Just take that off & then tie the door in the closed position. I tried zip ties but they didn't hold. Shoe lace worked great.

Are you talking in the area behind the glove box? That thing with the silver rod on the right.

3183f46e.jpg

Yep. That whitish piece at the top is the blend door arm.

Jason94sport said:
Yep. That whitish piece at the top is the blend door arm.

Thank you sir ! I will give it a try.

This may be helpful to someone someday....

9eaa7f68.jpg

Back