• Register Today It's free!

Blew my fuse..need a bigger wire?

skoal_mint

Reaction score
City, State
Geraldton ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport 4.0
Well I had a smalled system in my explorer about 5 years ago with a 8 gauge power wire becasue it was 1000 watts.

If I put a bigger fise in you thing its really going to matter, I put in my old amp last month thats 1000watts connected to my 2000watt woofers

I would think that it wouldnt matter becasue its only a 1000w, just better chances of blowing the amp right??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i don't understand what you're saying.

8 gauge wire can only handle up to a certain current, if you need more current you need bigger wire.

It should work fine, it just won't operate at "peak" capacity assuming the wire won't carry as much current as the amp can use.

What fuse blew, the one on the amp, or the fuse on the power wire?

These guys are correct, The fuse is based on the wire (also dependent upon length to an extent). What amp are you using?

I'm using a kenwood amp.. Yeah the fuse on the power wire burnt.. I dont know what amp the fuse is, just says 32V

I just put in a fuse I found laying arond in the garage for now.

okay, another question.. My subs are sounding like crap when i crank it up (when i blew the fuse) is that the amp clipping? its only 400watt RMS on 900watts RMS subs...I Hope its the amp and not my subs distorting

I hope it was the same rating
fire.gif

I'm using a kenwood amp.. Yeah the fuse on the power wire burnt.. I dont know what amp the fuse is, just says 32V

okay, another question.. My subs are sounding like crap when i crank it up (when i blew the fuse) is that the amp clipping? its only 400watt RMS on 900watts RMS subs...I Hope its the amp and not my subs distorting

we need details..

What model subwoofers??

What model amp??

How are the subs wired to the amp??

How is your gain set??

Bass boost??

Your subs probably sound like crap because of incorrect settings that most likely lead to major clipping.

400 rms amp is usually around 60 amps of fusing at inline.

most people would be running 4 gauge wire with your power level.

I couldnt tell you what models they are but the amp is 200rms at 4ohm and 400at 2 ohm, the subs are 400 rms each.

i am probable maxing out my amp and why they sound like crap

Back