blower motor relay(s) - 95 w/o eatc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

blower motor relay(s) - 95 w/o eatc

sloop

Reaction score
City, State
texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 xlt
my blower stopped working - or stopped a couple of times

95 xlt with a/c and rear controls but without the eatc

instead of doing research, i replaced the blower motor - it stopped again - it does start up but not sure why

i was going to replace the blower motor relay - and my confusion began

i checked rockauto but thought one relay, shipping - might as well buy locally - and i think all of the car parts stores are as confused as i am

i looked in the manual and see there are two relays

blower motor relay
high speed blower ground

ok i think i understand the resistor thing - that it burns off extra power to slow the blower motor

any setting EXCEPT high routes power through the first relay (blower motor relay) to the resistor, then to the fan motor

if you select the HIGH blower speed, the second relay is used and that bypasses the first relay, sending full power to the motor and bypassing the resistor completely

not sure what the advantage to the design is but i am sure there IS one

do i need both relays? i have no high speed blower ground relay - all 4 speeds do change the fan speed as it is now - looking at the schematic, it looks to me like i should have no blower power on high

if i do need one, are the relays both the same?

my faith in car part stores is gone - the people only know the vague, obscure language on their computer screen - i can read that myself - sigh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the answer is no - my application does not need the relay - there are no contact points inside the relay housing

my guess is that eatc models would use them - to bypass that solid state resistor

but if the relay IS needed, the blower relay and high speed ground relay are the same part

but if the relay IS needed, the blower relay and high speed ground relay are the same part

are you sure your blower resistor isn't just bad? with your style of manually controlled blower fan, that's usually what the problem is as long as the motor's ok. if it's good then there may be a problem with the blower switch, electrical contacts or wiring.

oh PLEASE don't let this be the wiring

it only happened twice - and started back up - as best i can recall, the fan worked in all speeds - it would just not blow in ANY speed - it did not last long and i did not think to try the rear blower - if it happens again, i'll take your advice and check the resistor and switch

thanks koda

You can be thankful that it is not the eatc system, parts are cheap and the majority of vehicles in jy have manual controls

Back