Blower wont work....i NEED MY A/C! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blower wont work....i NEED MY A/C!

Cockatoo

Reaction score
City, State
Algonquin IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 4x4
my blower just stopped working the other day, dont work at all, not even at full blast. i have the electronic climate control. i checkd all the fuses and they are fine. i unplugged the plug that plugs into the back of the blower and its not getting power when swithced on. when i turn the fan knob in the car a relay that sounds like it is on the blower clicks.

what are the possibilities that cound be casueing the blower to not work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are 2 fuses, 1 in the fuse box inside the car, and another one in the power distribution box. Did you check both of them?

yes i checked both fuse box's.

no i didnt know that autozone had diagrams

Lots of posts.... it is likely your speed control module. Easy to replace. Check your motor operation by having your key in "run" and throw a ground on one side of your blower motor (make sure it is not the power side).... your motor should run in high. If not you have other problems.

but since i have the electonic climate conttrol isnt that a $200 part?

can ghetto rig it and jut hook a toggle switch up to throw ground to the blower until i have cash to get the right part? will the a/c still be cold? or does that speed control module control that too?

There is a resistor near the blower motor that varies the voltage to the blower motor. That enables it to have a few speeds. Check that part. It's not an expensive part, and is only held in place with a couple of screws. It is easily accessible.

i was told that with the eltronic climate control, there is no resistor, but a computer module instead..... that is way more expensive.

well after some diagnosing, i have found that the blower is getting the variable ground from the controler, it does not have constont power. i jumed a wire from the battery right to the pink wire on the blower and everything works great, fan works on all speeds and everything.

so it is losing + power somwhere, all fuse check out fine and a swapped relays around and still no power.

im thinking about running a line from the ignition on a relay and just bypassing whatever is stock. its much easier to just redo it than to track down this problem.

I'm just a little confused by your last post. You said variable ground? Ground is 0 volts. Your positive is the thing that is variable in voltage. For example, full voltage would be 14 volts, lower voltage would be 13 volts, etc. Some controls, such as the solenoids on the transmission have a constant positive voltage, but a computer controlled ground signal that engages them.

I think that you have now narrowed your problem down with the check of the "variable ground" (ie. resistance to some form of ground). Its your blower relay in aux box #2... either its fuse on the pull up side ( which is hot in run) or the contacts are fried. Cheap fix would be to try another relay although you can probably test for voltages at the various pins.

BrooklynBay said:
I'm just a little confused by your last post. You said variable ground? Ground is 0 volts. Your positive is the thing that is variable in voltage. For example, full voltage would be 14 volts, lower voltage would be 13 volts, etc. Some controls, such as the solenoids on the transmission have a constant positive voltage, but a computer controlled ground signal that engages them.

the blower gets a constant 12v, the ground is what fluctuates from the controler.

i tried flip floppping the relays around in the relay box under the air filter, they all seem to be the same relay, there is 3 of them all looking the same. you know exactly which relay is the one tht gives the blowers its 12v?

Do you have a book that shows a component locator for parts under the hood? If you have a Chilton's, or Haynes manual, it should show you which one it is. You could also tell from the color code of the wires going to the relay.

two smaller relays at one end are front washer pump and fog lights, then hi speed blower (not the one you need.... actually probably not there for eatc operation), then the blower motor (the one you need), and finally auto RIDE. I suspect you have a blown such that the feed for the pull up on the blower motor relay is not happening.

in that relay box under the filter i have only 3 relays total, all 3 are the smaller kind. there is 2 right next to each other and then one a few inches away.

We are at a "stalemate" as I only have 96 drawings.... hopefully someone else will help out... although someone has already suggest a location for some schematics.... and I think there is a site for the "free fordtruck cd" stuff (I bought the cd).... and of course, your owner's manual. I guess one other question... you are looking at aux relay box #2 and not aux relay box #1... right????.... oops I see that you are (under the air cleaner).

added text...

is there a plug space between the two that are together and the one that is further over??? I suspect that the one further over is the one of interest.

I had the same prob about 3 weeks ago although i dont have the electronic climate control. I had a motor that would work occasionally although rarely. Checked both fuses(inside the door and under the hood) and was almost set that it was the resistor block (which yours doesnt have, but thats the only difference). Looking at the schematic i found the relay...its just behind the passenger side headlight, little black box, with 2 1" cube relays(there's a spot for a third but its got no wiring...not sure if yours will have the third) and 2 about half the size which are rectangular. I switched two of the relay around and my blower worked again. the relay you want to look for is plugged into the second available plug from the right side when facing the front of the vehicle. Since yours has the auto climate it may also be the 1st from the right if there's a relay there. Its a hefty $10 fix.
Good luck,
AF

check UNDER the relay. ive seen 3 exps with eatc , 2 97s 1 98

the black wire corrodes out and blows the relay. pull that wire..refasten it, replace relay. should fix your problem. the relay box is on the passenger side , inside the hood, next to the motor on the wheel well. its exposed to the ground so it gets wet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same problem

I have a 95 EB edition. The ECC only works when the fan is on high. On lower settings nothing occurs. I have checked the fuse box and both relay boxes. The secondary relay box that is on the passenger side under the air filter only contains one relay. I swapped it wth another and no differenece. the unit only works when the fan is put on high. Could it be the interior Electronic Climate Control unit itself going bad? I did see a relay box on the driver side fender behind the battery. Does anyone know what this used for?

:usa: I was reading around the forum and i read it is the speed controller! Does anyone know where that is located and can that be bought at local parts store? :usa:

Back