• Register Today It's free!

Blowing fuse in reverse

ErickSaint

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Haven't had the time to check bulbs yet, but could this be whats causing the problem? Every time I put the truck in reverse I pop a the fuse that controls the reverse lamps as well as all turn signals etc. This just started happening out of the blue. Using the turn signals works fine, but as soon as I put it into reverse the fuse is gone again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it's 11 at night, just went out and tried pulling both reverse bulbs and putting a new fuse in. No go, it still blows when going into reverse.

I was gonna play the wire tracing game this weekend if it's not storming like they say it will. Any idea where to find the switch? Thats not in the trans is it?

Neutral safety switch is on the transmission. I had the same problem then when I installed my body lift it cured it. Positive its a short to ground somewhere.

Thanks guys, weather permitting I'll have a look at it this weekend.

Turned out to be a decent day outside so I'm going to try to test the switch. If I just disconnect it doesn't blow a fuse would it be reasonable to say it's a bad switch? Only reason I ask is no part stores seem to stock the switch and it will be about 4 days to get it. Don't want to special order a part I may not need. If just disconnecting it will not work does anybody know which pins I should check for a short?

Turned out to be a decent day outside so I'm going to try to test the switch. If I just disconnect it doesn't blow a fuse would it be reasonable to say it's a bad switch? Only reason I ask is no part stores seem to stock the switch and it will be about 4 days to get it. Don't want to special order a part I may not need. If just disconnecting it will not work does anybody know which pins I should check for a short?

Disconnect the switch. If it doesn't blow, it's not the column, it's the switch or something after the switch.

To all fuse blowers in reverse , Its a crazy fix if you go to your steering column open up case where the wires come out of over drive button shaft at base check sleeve covered wires it will be worn with wires exposed to ground shorting to metal of column blowing fuse under shift rubber gasket hope this helps

Haven't had the time to check bulbs yet, but could this be whats causing the problem? Every time I put the truck in reverse I pop a the fuse that controls the reverse lamps as well as all turn signals etc. This just started happening out of the blue. Using the turn signals works fine, but as soon as I put it into reverse the fuse is gone again.
Hello there,

My '91 just started doing this. Put it in reverse and it pops the turn signal fuse. At first i thought it was my bulbs, but i swapped them with known good ones with identical results.

Did you find out the name of the switch and where to get it? Is it fixable? The people at my Napa were not able to find it and they are the only store in my town.

Thanks,
Jason

Back