• Register Today It's free!

Blown Wheel Bearing, Help!

zPike00EB

Reaction score
City, State
boston, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EB
Today riding home from work, my explorer started a clanking noise from the passenger side front tire. I pulled over to find that two of the 'prongs' coming from the wheel bearing had been completely torn off.

If you think that's weird, you'll be happy to know that this is the second time in 6,000 miles this has happened.

Recently I've noticed that the Front tires and angling their selves inward at the top of the tire, much like this ... /----\

Is this from too much torsion twist, or could it be from something else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

was it the same wheel bearing or the other one. Torsion twists do whack up your alignment but i dont think to the point where it is plainly visible. You should check your ball joints to make sure that they arent about ready to fall apart. My uncles truck had bad ball joints on it for a while and it got so bad they made the tires go angled like you explained. I think like 2 days later he was at his daughters house and his upper ball joints snapped in half in their driveway...

It was the same one, Front right.

The inside tread of the tires are completely gone now, while the outside is still at about 40% tread.

I'll try to get some pictures up soon, but anyone else think it's possibly a joint issue?

If you did a TT and did not get an alignment, you would definitely throw things off kilter. You can damage front end parts over time like, your ball joints,tires, hubs. I had to buy camber adjusters after my TT to get the alignment correct. It sounds like you have been driving on it like this for awhile from your description of your tire.
A timkin hub is between $140-$190, you can find cheaper versions of lesser quality for around $100 new. If you have some basic hand tools, and a want to save $$, you can swap it out yourself, take it into a alignment shop to set it proper, and buy a new tire.

So do you think I should try to back the TT down a bit? Or just replace the hub, tires and get an alignment?

Cranking down the torsion bars will not solve your problem now. Too late for that.

I would take it in to a shop and ask them to give it a look over. Since this is a serious matter, where this is affecting your safety and others.

You need to have everything looked at for damage. Chances are you need a few things repaired. Once you have the damage report, and an idea of how much this is going to cost you, you can always come back to the forum and learn how to fix it yourself.

I know that in every how to thread I have read, that the aftercare is mentioned as a precaution for things just like this. Never do a TT with out getting an alignment done after wards.

You are looking at replacing your (worse case) hub, upper & lower control arm, tie rod, both ball joints, CV axle, possible internal differential damage, cross member damage, brake caliper, brake lines.

This type of failure has been known to lock up the front tire, and practically RIP OFF the front section of your front end! Your lucky you were not in heavy traffic, and had a violent breakdown resulting in injury to you and others around you. You would have been at fault, for doing this MOD incorrectly. Sorry to seem harsh with you, but when changing things to a 2.5 ton suv that drives at lethal speeds, it is no different than pointing a loaded gun at a crowd when proper precautions are not made. You said it is the 2nd time in 6000 miles to happen, so you have not learned from the first time, and I would like to make sure you do this time.

Good luck with your repairs.

The TT would cause the outside of the tire to wear but the inner tire wear is a sign its time to replace your ball joints and wheel bearings. The TT will cause ball joints to wear at a faster rate than normal. When doing a TT you should not twist them all the way this may cause damage to your cv shafts and may tear the rubber boot.

The TT would cause the outside of the tire to wear but the inner tire wear is a sign its time to replace your ball joints and wheel bearings. The TT will cause ball joints to wear at a faster rate than normal. When doing a TT you should not twist them all the way this may cause damage to your cv shafts and may tear the rubber boot.

a torsion twist causes the top of the tire to tilt inward, causing excessive wear on the inside of the tire.

can anyone find me a link?

I dont know exactly what to get..

Also for tires.. I was thinking Dick Cepek's Mud terrains. Would you recommend anything different?

Back