Replacement Radio for 1998 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement Radio for 1998 XLT

MarioC

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Hi,

The radio in 1998 XLT no longer lights up but it still plays. I would like to replace the radio with either another stock one or an aftermarket one.

Does anyone know what year radios fit a 1998 explorer. I see there are a lot of people parting out Explorers and maybe I can pick up a stock one. The one I have has a CD, Cassette and 6 disc CD changer in the center console.

If I go aftermarket - whats a good one. I am interested in one that fits in the opening.

Thanks,
Mario

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went to the junk yard and asked about the cost of a stock radio. The guy asked me what the problem was and I told him it was the same problem you are having (no lights).

The guy stated that this was common problem and said what I needed was just the face plate. He said he had a stock one radio that the CD player was dead and he let me have it for $25.

Well, I thought he was blowing smoke but he said if it didn't work he'd refund my money.

Anyway, I swapped the face plates and it fixed the problem.

As for what years are compatible, I don't recall for sure but I thought '98-2000 had the same radio. If you do plan on swapping face plates make sure you get the same one as your original one. I believe the differences was the "RDS" function.

Virtually all the stock radios of that model and vintage have the display problem. It's an overheated display power board, which you can replace yourself, if you are just minimally handy, for about $100. Mine has been working flawlessly for years after I did that. There are many threads dealing with this issue, listing sources of parts etc - use the search function.

1998 Exp is right, I just forgot. Look at the top of this forum, there's a "Sticky" for your problem.

Mine has the same problem. I have looked into fixing it, but with the cost and hastle of doing it and I still have a 1998 stereo with cassette and CD.

I have decided to get an aftermarket double DIN video deck with an LCD touchscreen. The one's I am looking at play DVD, CD, etc, have USB to plug in my phone and access it's music and Bluetooth handsfree calling for the phone. One of the models I am considering has GPS built in to it as well.

I don't need a brand new vehicle but I still like having the conveniences :)

I also will add, that even though I fixed the stock radio, my Son did eventually put in an Alpine system. I wanted to keep the stock radio in case he ever sells the vehicle and wants to keep the Alpine.

His ***** with the stock system was "who the hell still uses CD's".

I think that's funny, seeing that I recall replacing a stock radio on my 1973 Dodge Charger and my Dad questioning that. My response was something like "who the hell still uses 8-track":)

So I guess I can understand my Son's reasoning.

Blueraven

Some may want matching interior lighting colors, rear or steering wheel controls, or just something to plop in to sell the truck. :)

Some may want matching interior lighting colors, rear or steering wheel controls, or just something to plop in to sell the truck. :)

Hey Joe,

The units I am looking at for my Ex have 112 different color selections to match the dash, most now also come with steering wheel interfaces as well. Back seat control is not a concern for me but I could see it being a problem for some, although the video units do have plugins for game consoles and external DVD players.

I understand your point though. My Mustang has the CD-6 Mach 460 system and I am keeping it rock stock...gotta get the big bucks at Jackson B's in a few decades! And it works and sounds great...why fix what's not broke.

anyone got astock one that works with a 98 mach subwoofer and steering wheel controls? if so i would buy it if its cheap and it dont matter to me if the lights work or not.

Back