• Register Today It's free!

body lift on a 97 2WD??

dossler2002

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 2WD 4.0 V6 4dr
can someone please do a write up or give me some information on what i need to look for when i do this lift?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bumper brackets?

also i really am mainly worried about what I need to do with the bumper brackets. I got the '95 - '97 Ranger kit (#853) because I figured it would be cheaper to get the bumper brackets than the steering extension. Now I'm hoping to just modify or make my own brackets.

What shape do they need to be?

Do I just need to flatten them out or what?

all help is greatly appreciated, I plan on doing it this Friday.

Go here:
Dead Link Removed

That will tell you everything to get in order to lift the Body of your 1997 Explorer.

Please next time Do a search before you post a new message, this topic has been covered many times before.

ok i have done plenty of searches and research on them, but no one has actually mentioned how the bumper brackets need to be so I don't have to buy the set from PA. I have read that you can just straighten the one's in the 853 kit out and it'll work. is this true??

also, anyone who has relocated their grilled guard with a body lift can you tell me how?? i don't wanna have my grille guard alot lower than my bumper.

The Grill Guard gets Mounted to the Frame(not the Bumper) if im Correct?
So you have to modify your Grill Guard your-self, (a Custom Job)...... Hence there is no Easy way to make it work.

well i know that some have done their grille guard so i was just wondering what they had to do? like custom brackets or anything of that sort??

Search = "bumper"

Find = "Need Help! Bumper Brackets-Body Lift."

Thread = Dead Link Removed

Sounds like you wanna do what I have had experience doing to mine. I have the Go Rhino grille gaurd and I put it on before I lifted the truck...no problems. It bolts onto the frame i believe. As for your body lift and/or suspension mods, well it may be too late now but why didn't you just get the parts specifically designed for the 97 explorer? gettin a ranger set and hoping it'll work may not have been the best idea. It's always worth it to spend a little extra at the time then have potential problems later on down the road. Also, i wouldn't mess around with the steering extension on your own. My advice is to return your ranger kit and get a kit for the explorer...have it done right the first time around.

they don't make a lift specifically for my vehicle though....unless i wanna spend $600 on the spindle lift....but i have a part time job and plenty of fines to pay so i really don't have the money for it....and i got the kit for free so why not put it on....

does anyone know where i can find some steel plating to make my own brackets??

Originally posted by nicholtl
Sounds like you wanna do what I have had experience doing to mine. I have the Go Rhino grille gaurd and I put it on before I lifted the truck...no problems. It bolts onto the frame i believe. As for your body lift and/or suspension mods, well it may be too late now but why didn't you just get the parts specifically designed for the 97 explorer? gettin a ranger set and hoping it'll work may not have been the best idea. It's always worth it to spend a little extra at the time then have potential problems later on down the road. Also, i wouldn't mess around with the steering extension on your own. My advice is to return your ranger kit and get a kit for the explorer...have it done right the first time around.

nicholtl,
He is right, they do not make a kit for a "1997 explorer".
Because of all the "hoop-lal" around the Explorer's with the Firestone tires and havimg them blow out causing the Explorer roll over..... Nobody will make a kit specifically designed for the Explorer. So this is why we have to buy lift kits, and Body lifts that are sold for the Ford Ranger. The Ford Ranger has the same parts just in different years. So if you find the right year that has the same parts as your Explorer you get the parts for that year Ranger and install them on your Explorer...........

But I coulda sworn i have seen 3 inch lift kits for the 1997 explorer made by explorer pro comp.

My bad, i misread.

Originally posted by dossler2002
. . .does anyone know where i can find some steel plating to make my own brackets??

Look in the phone book for Metal Sales. There is a place locally here that I bought mine from Called Capitol Metals. They have a huge showroom of nothing but metal.

Back