body lift.....problems......body lift......problems....body lift ..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

body lift.....problems......body lift......problems....body lift .....

kurant045

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92XLT 4x4
I know this topic has been tossed back and forth forever, and although many of us have done our body lifts already, there are always others that need to learn. So while I get some more help from you guys, hopefully others will learn as well. Some of you have probably followed my slow progress on the installation of my body lift. If you haven't here you go:

I have most of the lift completed, however I have ran into a few problems. The one that concerns me the most is my Steering....sTeeRing...STEERING. I think this body lift has caused me to stutter. I know I'm not the only one with this problem so start shooting some answers at us who's steering is binding and buckling up every 1/4 of a turn or so. I did install the steering extension that came with my 3" PA lift kit. Is this the cause of my problem? I understand that some of you have not used this, but I don't know how because my steering shaft will not come out far enough to fit without the extension. My theory is that the extension is not a perfect fit and it wiggles inside the shaft, thus causing it to buckle up when turning.

So what should I do? And furthermore what are my options?
Is there an aftermarket steering shaft that I can put in? Is there a perfomance steering component for lifted trucks? I also have a two inch suspension lift and I'm wondering if the combination of both is too much for my factory steering system. Give me your thoughts, please.

Thanks,
Robert

I have the same problem and it got worse when I put on the extension. So right now I don't have it on and still feel the buckling but not as bad. The site tips recommends checking out http://www.flamingriver.com for a new steering shaft.

Well she is up and running!

I was able to finish up my explorer yesterday, except for the rear bumper. I'm having a friend help me weld it in today after work. Yes, weld it. I've messed with those brackets left and right and I still can't get it to line up the way I want. Truly the only thing I'm disapointed with is the steering. I'm really thinking about finding an aftermarket steering shaft that will fix my problem.
Thanks for the link Daemon, I'm going to give them a call to see what they tell me. If anybody else has any other options that will fix my steering problem, I'd really appreciate it. Oh and what is this "super runner steering" I see a lot of people have and could this fix my problem. I've tried looking up more info on it but didn't get anything.

Thanks again
Robert

Back