Body lift

'97 V8

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
ft. knox ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 mounty 5.0 4x4 baby!!
Hey guys well i started to install the lift and....well its a pain is the a$$. I cant see how it can be done with hand tools. Its been soaking in penatrating fluid for a good couple of days and they just dont wanna break loose. Any suggestions? Or do i just have to get some air tools from someone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I personally didn't even want to hassle with the penetrating fluid, so I went to Oreilly's (I work there so I get a discount) and picked up an electric impact wrench. I think they're like $60, but don't quote me. Then I just put heat on the bottom of the bolt with a torch for like 30 seconds and they zipped right out. I'm about 3/4 of the way through mine, I just have to put the interior back together and do the rear bumper.

The older your truck is the more pain you will endure when trying to remove the old rusted hardware... Check out my Daystar Body Mount thread for lots of info and pics of working with body mounts. Even with air tools (1000ft/lbs inpact gun) several bolts which had been soaked for days in PB Blaster wouldn't budge... If you have no air then slip a length of pipe (3+ feet) over your breaker bar and go to town.. Some times you need to alternate between loosening a nut and tightening it back up to break it free...

okie good and bad news. i finally got ahold of a breaker bar, a foot and a half long...it works. The bolts brooke loose and all. Now the problem is with the front two, like where the headlights are. How on all goods green earth do you get the bumper off? No i dont have an impact gun. the front is what is holding me back. oh btw, i lost one sockets already where the rear seat is lol. The first time i got it back the second time it was a gonner. Please help me with this.

I lost a socket where my rear seat is also haha and one stuck to my rear bumper bracket to where I could never get it off..I didnt have a problem with the front end on mine..Good luck with it tho

4 bolts on each side hold the bumper on, its easy to take off....i also lost a socket down that hole, got a magnet on a spring from the hardware store and got it out......and my b/l was done with all hand tools, heat, and some breaker bars......it can be done.....keep at it!

ya i actually figured it out. took the air dam off, valence then the bumper...in that order. however my only problem is that i cant install trhe kit anymore cuz of the steering bolt. that mother wont come off. i cant get enough leverage so i had to put all the bolts back on and what not. Reason bieng is that the shippers are coming tomorrow to ship my mounty to seattle and then ill pick it up from there. Any ideas on how to remove the steering hbolt id appreciate it

btw installed the shackles and did a TT twist. the full 2 inches.

If you have a propane torch handy, heat it up for about 30 seconds to a minute and then try it. make sure you get some rags and cover the vital areas not to expose heat to em.

i kept it on for a minute. it wont budge.

not a lot of fraffic,
I am gonna move this one to a bit more homely place

[QUOTE='97 V8]i kept it on for a minute. it wont budge.[/QUOTE]
Grinder and punch it out?

can i do that. is the shaft threaded hwere the bolt goes through? if not hell ill do that lol.

Back