body lift? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

body lift?

eric przykuta

Reaction score
I HAVE A 97 SPORT WITH A TORSION BAR TWIST AND 265/80/16 SWAMPERS. I AM LOOKING FOR A 3 INCH BODY LIFT, OR ANY BODY LIFT BESIDES HOCKEY PUCKS. I HAVE LOOKED EVERYWHERE FOR ONE. DO THEY EXIST? OR DO I HAVE TO BUY ONE THAT CAN BE MODIFIED TO FIT MY VEHICLE? IF ANYBODY CAN HELP ME PLEASE LET ME KNOW?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Eric,
To my knowledge, no kit is available for the post 95 Explorers. There are many companies that offer body lifts for the 94s and down. Brian Ward recently used a pre 95 kit on a 98 EB Explorer...he is supposed to do a write up on this and tells us what he ran into. I'm really interested duplicating this modification myself!!!! Keep us posted Brian!

Hey guys,
I just completed a 2" body lift on a 97 EB and it is not too difficult. The biggest problem that I had was relocating the bumpers. They had to be totally fabricated. Another problem that I had was the local hardware store didn't carry metric bolts so luckily I had access to a laithe so I could shorten the bolts that came in the kit and put some more threads on them. I know that Sinjin, did the three inch body lift and that took a little more skill and patience. If you want a more in depth explanation, email me and I will try and accomodate!!!
Good luck!!! and let me know if you have any more question.

Click on "Gerald's Truck" at the bottom of my sig line below to link to my registry entry and page down to my article. Scroll down toward the bottom to the section on putting body lifts on new models. You'll learn every single thing you need to know to do it.

Here is a link to another write up on installing a 3" body lift on pre 95 models... http://www.mackie1.com/explorer/bodylift.htm

Also interesting to note that the kits do not include an extension for manual transmission shifters. PA has this extension (PN 3700) but I don't know if it fits post 95 transmissions.

i am going to use the 3 inch ranger kit on my 95 explorer what extra bolts should i get, and where can i get them? i want to get them before i start so i have everything. thanks SEAL

Write-up on body lift install

Sorry about the wait guys. Just finished the write-up on the body lift install for my '98 and posted it in the Shocks, Suspensions, and Lifts Forum under the title of "How To" on 2" body lift for '95 and up. Take a look at it and tell me what you think. Any questions you have, feel free to contact me. Thanks again.

Brian

Write up on body lift is complete

Brian Ward recently used a pre 95 kit on a 98 EB Explorer...he is supposed to do a write up on this and tells us what he ran into. I'm really interested duplicating this modification myself!!!! Keep us posted Brian!

Arnold,

I finished the body lift write up and posted it under the shocks, suspensions, and lifts forum. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Brian

does anyone know what sizes of the 10 stock bolts are i was going to buy all new ones that are 3 inches longer instead of having to deal with drilling out bushings and the other stuff thanks SEAL

Seal

Sorry I didn't get back to you yet on the bolt lengths. I'll get the chance to measure those for you tomorrow(Saturday) and I'll send you the info. Sorry on the delay.:)

Jeff..

You don't need longer bolts, only two of the bolts are too long, all the others are the right length with the kit you are using.

yeah but they dont send you threaded bolts i hear you ahve to drill out the bushings so if i buy new threaded bolts then i wont have to do it, and i was looking for the original bolt legths ill just get new ones 3 inches longer. thanks SEAL

anyone??

The bolts are threaded, only two of them have to be drilled besides the core blocks. If you are worried about drilling, I wouldn't do the body lift.

not worried about drilling but i figured it would save time just to buy new bolts, also i heard that the bolts are not metric. i thought for a few extra bucks (buying new bolts the same size just 3 inches taller, it will save time and frustration. SEAL

they don't need to be metric......you are making this bodylift harder than it needs to be.

Get the kit and just do it, you have everything you need in the kit.

To Jeff Seal

Jeff,

Sorry about the wait on this info, hope you still need it. There are 10 body bolts, total. Here is the breakdown:

6 Bolts are 4 inches long

2 Bolts are 4 1/2 inches long

2 Bolts are 5 3/4 inches long

Like you said, just add however many inches your body lift is to these lengths, and purchase that size bolts.

Sorry again on the delay.

Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back