Hockey Puck Body Lift??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hockey Puck Body Lift???

97MOUNTAINEER

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to lift a post '95 (or more precisely '97) with hockey pucks? I saw this guys S10 (excuse my French) and he stacked two drilled pucks on top of each rubber body mount for a 2" lift. What are the steering linkage problems associated with using a 1" puck to gain another inch after the extended shackle swap and torsion bar twist? My 31X11.5R15 MT Baja Belted's are supposed to be here in 4-7 days and I'm getting nervous about the fit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a good idea but I personally would not do it. I play hockey and a year back I left a puck out in the weather and it was cracking and pretty much falling apart. It's a good idea but with anything and everything it's always best to use the right parts. You can pick up a body lift 1-3 inches for around $60-$80. Here is a link that may help you out!
Dead Link Removed

IF you do end up going with the hockey puck route let me know how it goes! I am interested to see if it works!

------------------
Scott
91 EB

MudManNM,

I was just at that site and they don't offer a body lift for a 97 Explorer. Do you know of anywhere else that might? Thanks

Eric

"Mountaineer",
The only issue that you need to worry about will be inside rubbing if you go with the stock wheels. I went with Mickey Thompson's 32x11.5-16s and have plenty of clearance front, back and top. I have stock offset wheels, and the front tires rub at full lock just a little on the torsion bar. I've even adjusted the bars all the way down and had no problem.Then there was just a little rub at full compression after getting slightly airborne on an unexpected mogul! I do have stiffer than stock bars though.
Stay away from the hockey pucks. Go with the proper parts and you won't be redoing the lift again in two years! I've done several body lifts on other trucks. Its cheap and easy.
Rick

------------------
Rick
95 Explorer Sport Expedition

I am not sure if they will have it but you may want to check
Dead Link Removed

if they don't have it I'm not to sure where else to check. I had problems finding a body lift for my 91 EB at the time I guess they didn't make the mod for it....so I got a body lift for a Ford f-150. You may want to ask a local 4x4 shop if that will work. Maybe someone on the board will be able to help as well. I am sorry but I don't know the specs on the the 95-99's you can email me at FordExplorerEB@aol.com
I find new stuff for Explorers all the time. let me know and I'll see if I can find a few for you.

------------------
Scott
91 EB

I have heard of using roller skate wheels as a body lift.

Hey all, i don't know how long y'all have been into offroading but.... there are some definite no-no's in lifting, using hockey pucks or boat rollers is a no because they are made of hard rubber. if the rubber is hard it is already half way to brittle and breaking. the only lifts you see on the market are aluminum or plastic. Stick with these materials if you are gonna fab your own. no pipe either it won't stay centered on the bolt. as for skate wheels no way they are polyurethane but.... they are way to small around, they provide a direct pressure point to either brake the original mount or brake the sheet metal at the mount location. i fabbed a 1" bodylift for my exp, from a high density polyethylene that my former employer stocks. i am trying to locate a supplier thru them to get more of it to offer it to our explorer friends, in kit form of course. please in any case if you want a 2 or 3" kit but a PA or Trailmaster kit for the closest year and then buy new bolts and/or have a steering extension fabbed or something, if you don't have access to aluminum stock about 3" around or high density plastics don't risk your life or your trucks integrity by cheating.

just trying to keep everyone safe. hope this helps.

dodger

Hey Kyle K.

Can you mail me at Arch-Willy@usa.net
I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions concering body lifts.

Thanks

Justin R.

You can also buy the actual lift blocks on ebay separate for like $2 a piece...

Input

I do have a friend who lifted his Ranger with hockey pucks. Not saying it's the best way to go about things but it did work. Now, back to the OP's question. You won't even need to do a body lift to fit those 31s under there, in the Modified 95-01 forum right at the top there is a link to lifts and max tire sizes. And there's a cheap way to lift without a body lift. Torsion twist and shackles. Granted it's probably more than a set of hockey pucks, but it's easy and you don't have to worry about any of the cables getting in the way during the lift. Just crank those bars, drop the truck, drive it around and then get an alignment. Shackles, just order them and put them in. But and even with that 31s might not even have any real issues at all. So don't worry too much.

10 years later.... :p: LOL

had a buddy who did one on a 99 explorer and he did 2 pucks and the broke while he was mudding and the back of the truck was slidding around on the frame

is this the oldest revived thread?

I realize that this is an old thread, but I'm going to rant anyway. REDNECKING SHOULD ONLY BE USED IN AN EMERGENCY!!! I've seen hockey pucks break in half while playing hockey. Using them on a car is just dumb and unsafe. To all of you that want to use any of the following for a body lift:

1. Hockey pucks
2. Boat rollers
3. Really, really hard plastic blocks. (this is the way a kid at work described his BL)
4. Roller blade wheels (like suggested in post #6)
5. Anythings else that's just as silly. This includes but isn't limited to: ice, bits of string, grandma's dentures, & blocks of wood.

All of these items are just unsafe, and has the potential to actually kill you or someone else. My true politically incorrect feelings on this is post #47 in the link. (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256107).

Hello

My body lift was done by the previous owner of my 88 B2 about 5 years ago and still no problems. I guess it depends on the quality of the puck. But for the $80 I would get the proper lift blocks for piece of mind.

igiveup

Hey Kyle K. I was wondering if you could email me when ever you get a chance, I just want to pick your brain in this body lift convo because I have also done the torsion lift and shackles but now I'm looking at these other trucks and saying to my self "it's not enuff" lol any suggestions or "how NOT to do it's" would help and be greatly appreciated
Thanks!
Ajsteinhauer@yahoo.com

holy dig up an old thread, , ,
he may not answer , the thread was from 1999

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back