• Register Today It's free!

Body part replacement

02expo

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Limited. It has front end damage do to an accident. I have to replace the drivers side fender and the hood and I am unsure which material to order. Is the stock metal for these parts aluminum or steel?

I have other parts I need to order as well like the bumper and I found a website called www.autobodyfit.com that has all the parts I need at wholesale prices. Anyone ever order from this company? are they reliable?

The parts I need are
head light $81.
driver side fender w/ flare $124. (Alum) and $47.48 steel
center bumper for grille $81.
grille $11.17
fog light frame $$11.17 per side
grille-charcoal $26.53

Hood (alum) $275.11 or (steel) $124.29

with aluminum I'm looking at about $650. and with steel $425. plus shipping.

any suggestions on these options between aluminum or steel.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the body panels are all steel except for the hood which is aluminum, not sure why, but pretty sure on this

A thought too is aluminium will be lighter and cheaper to ship...

And no rust do go with whay u want. If u build it like a delorian all out of aluminum then tadah no rusy inwinter

Hit a junkyard up and get the parts off an explorer that's been smashed into in the rear...

The prices look good but shipping is probably going to be killer...

Hit a junkyard up and get the parts off an explorer that's been smashed into in the rear...

The prices look good but shipping is probably going to be killer...

That's great idea till you find that all the x's mine have are2000 or older:(

I have been calling the junk yards. Haven't found anything yet. Found a 2002 explorer 2 door and I'm not sure if the parts are the same. I tried researching through google and haven't came up with any info to go off of.

the 02 sport is more based on the 96-2001's that's why their forum location is in that section so i believe that it wouldn't work not sure

the body panels are all steel except for the hood which is aluminum, not sure why, but pretty sure on this

The hood is aluminum as are the right and left front fenders. 100% sure on this.

The aluminum will still corrode, but not like typical rusting on steel parts. It's called white rust at the production plants. It will cause the paint finish to flake away from underneath. I would go with the aluminum parts unless budget is concerned. I had to replace my passenger side fender (deer ><) and was not aware of the OEM aluminum until I had bother parts in hand. Weight difference is quite obvious.

I would for sure go with aluminum for the hood or you may have to replace the stock hydraulic dampeners to support the extra weight of the hood.

The lift gates are still steel, at least on my 03. 2006 and up are probably aluminum. I know the Expidition/ Nav's are aluminum prior to 06. ( the year I left) speaking of lift gates here. We did not build much if any Explorer product at my particular facility.

Hope it helps.

I personally would go aluminum hood, fender wouldn't make too much difference depending on whether your are in the north with road salts, or near the ocean imo.

The hood is aluminum as are the right and left front fenders. 100% sure on this.

The aluminum will still corrode, but not like typical rusting on steel parts. It's called white rust at the production plants. It will cause the paint finish to flake away from underneath. I would go with the aluminum parts unless budget is concerned. I had to replace my passenger side fender (deer ><) and was not aware of the OEM aluminum until I had bother parts in hand. Weight difference is quite obvious.

I would for sure go with aluminum for the hood or you may have to replace the stock hydraulic dampeners to support the extra weight of the hood.

The lift gates are still steel, at least on my 03. 2006 and up are probably aluminum. I know the Expidition/ Nav's are aluminum prior to 06. ( the year I left) speaking of lift gates here. We did not build much if any Explorer product at my particular facility.

Hope it helps.

I personally would go aluminum hood, fender wouldn't make too much difference depending on whether your are in the north with road salts, or near the ocean imo.

I knew the hood was aluminum, but check the front fenders and sure enough, they are aluminum (learn something new everyday :))

OP - Since the new parts are going to need to be painted anyway, I'd go to a junkyard to grab the main parts that you need. Maybe you'll get lucky and find one that's the same color.

Back