• Register Today It's free!

Metal for mesh grill mod?

bluevolume

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I'm looking to put a metal mesh screen in the front grill of my '00 Ex, there are a bunch of really cheap auctions on ebay for the metal. I want to just buy the stuff locally, but can't seem to locate the right material. The only stuff I found was this 'expanded metal' sheet at Home Depot, and it was $8 for a 1' x 2' section. I'll need two of those, which is far more expensive than most of these auctions are going for.

Does anyone know what that material is actually called, and where to get it?

I asked one of the guys who was running an auction what the material was made of, and he told me "aluminum steel". I replied and told him that aluminum and steel are different things -- got another message insisting it is aluminum steel.

Thanks,
Blue

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got mine from home depot- it was like $5 and enough to do the entire front of my X and my friends grand am.

It was a gutter grating packet... the stuff that creates a semi-circle over the gutters of a house to keep leaves and crap out. Ask someone at Home Depot (thats where i got mine) for something like that for the gutters and they'll bring you right to it. I think you get 6 or 7 sheepts that are 8" x 24" (i dont remember exactly)

For my old car, I just picked up a sheet of "Expanded Aluminum" for about $10. It came as a 6' x 4' sheet. It's used for plastering Stucco on the outsides of houses.

I had it on my car for about 1.5 yrs. Because it's Aluminum it never rusted, only faded a bit (lost some it's shine) but if you clear coat it or keep it VERY clean it should stay nice and shiny for a long time.

worked like a charm and it's very cheap.

I too have seen the Ebay ads and wondered how the mesh is attached to the grill. Glue, clips or ???

For my old car, I just used clear Zip Ties. You could barley see them.

Back