Body Rust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body Rust

93 Explorer xlt, seem to be having some rust issues on the body under the right rear door, cant seem to think of the name for the part, maybe door sill? basically its what running boards would mount to, the current piece mounted to it is sagging do to rust through.... anyone had this problem? does anyone know if i can get weld in replacement panels for this or should i start looking for something suitable at the junk yard, Kyle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you are refering to a rocker pannel. You can buy that from your Ford dealership but it really in an involved project.

I was figuring cut, weld and paint.....did i leave out some steps? Kyle

The rocker panel is a structrual panel. Just but-edging it is a very unsafe method. Stagger your inner rocker and outer rocker by at least three inches and use a backing plate use weld through primer before you weld , and be real generous with the seam sealer and corrosion protection.

You may be referring to the dog leg also. It is the piece in front of the rear wheels. I have a 92 that is in the shop getting new paint. The dog legs on mine were pretty bad. I bought the left and right side from the
link below. It was the cheapest I found.
If you buy these, you should know they are an inch short of where the seam is on your Ex. You don't want to cut too much off from the Ex.
My ride should be finished in a week or so.

http://www.bumperauto.com/scripts/catalog2.asp?make=FORD

Back