• Register Today It's free!

observation on body rust.

Stynx

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT Sport
I finally got around to cutting out the rust on the right rear fender of my 05 xlt sport. It was basically at the top of the "arch". After removing the plastic trim I cut out the rusty parts with an angle grinder, cleaned it up with a wire brush wheel, then cleaned it with brake cleaner. I cut 2 pieces of fiberglass cloth to fit and glued them on with resin, then filled in with body filler and sanded it down into shape. Overall it turned out pretty good, the next step is priming and painting it.

The odd observation is that when I went to walmart to pick up some stuff, I did a double take when I saw an explorer virtually identical to mine in the parking lot. What stood out what it was clean like mine EXCEPT for rust in the middle of the right rear fender and no place else.

What is it about that side that makes them rust in that spot? Anyone else get rust there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have an '05 but... I suspect it's the combination of road run-off being greater on the right side, combined with the rear wheel kicking it up.

Mine's a little lower toward the back, but same general area. Hope it doesn't spread, as the rest of the car is clean.

Same rust battle. I figured it was aggravated by unnoticed leaking rear cargo glass seals.

Mine's a little lower toward the back, but same general area. Hope it doesn't spread, as the rest of the car is clean.
Angle grinder my friend. That's the only solution. The patch on mine got twice as big in a little over a year. do the math.

Follow up - I painted the area with something that was supposed to be the factory color (it doesn't match well due to sun and fading of the old paint) It looks ok, needs to be wet sanded and polished but it's the margins that are a problem,

I had taped off the area, prepped painted and clearcoated it. When I removed the tape, it literally left a ledge of paint at the margins. How do I best smooth off and blend in the edges? My current plan is to start with 1000 grit and wet sand it, but anything I do will necessarily damage the surrounding clearcoat. I guess I will have to spray some more clear coat but there has to be a technique to deal with this.

Anyone have suggestions of how to deal with the margins at this point?

Back