Body swap from 1998 SOHC to 1995 OHV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body swap from 1998 SOHC to 1995 OHV

PennerBlack

Reaction score
City, State
Toruń
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer 4.0 OHV
Hi there,
cant find perfect solution. Is the swap of body from Ex 1998 SOHC onto 1995 Ohv frame? Are they fully compatible? Is there any How to tutorial?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be sweet I'm sure someone here has done it and I'm thinking they will not be completely plug and go but definitely could be done for sure. Ford used the same chassis like the frame ect till the 3rd gens idk if u measure the frame rails and body mounts that should let u know it's pretty close.

Is it 4wd

Pictures please!
Both are 4WD

Screenshot_20210314-113748.png

received_487051898969888.jpeg

The parts can swap easily, but there are major wiring changes between the 95-97's, versus the 98's, and 99-01's. So compare carefully the differences in the main fuse box etc. For the most part, you will want to keep the wiring together with the engine/trans, dash and major electrical items, as a set.

The SOHC 4.0 is a well known for issues engine. Consider the condition of that 98 SOHC before giving up on the 95 OHV that you are familiar with. It may be better to swap just the body onto the old complete chassis, and keep the OHV and its computer, wiring, and trans.

Look at my big swap thread which is linked below in my signature. It's full of good pictures of the body and chassis apart, but it isn't about an engine/trans rewiring project. I was only fixing my wrecked 99 with my old 93 body, and adding some features for my work needs.

Don you have to remember Euro spec is slightly behind US spec so it may be similar than you think. At the same time 95 is a special year that is a 1 year only deal on a few things.

I'd plan on a complete strip and swap the wiring if you want it to be plug and play. Might be easier to use the 98 wiring and obtain the correct 98 ohv harness you need though

Good thought, I wondered if it was an export, the fender emblem looks European.

Hey guys,
i did my swap after hours for a long time but it's done! :D
I basicly took out everything from both bodies and body of 98' got full interior and wiring from my 95. So now my Ex is 98 from the outside and 95 chasis and interior. Now i'm looking for pre lift tailgate in colour and by job will be done! :D Fit is just perfect but it required a lot of work with the wiring, especially in the engine bay ( i should have taken more photos while disassembling). Now my main issue is same as it was before crash. Engine temp gets in middle of the scale and then it drops to low. It happens all the time while driving. I've changed thermostat, flushed cooling system, changed radiator cap and nothing helps. Hope i find solution.
Thank you all for help! :D

Back