How to: - Body Work 101 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Body Work 101

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
mud.jpg

To begin Bondo is a product name for body filler.
I am not a fan of Bondo products.
I use Evercoat Rage Gold and Evercoat Metal Glaze.
It is a far superior body filler.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the walk through. Would it be possible to just remove the trim around the glass, that way I can hide the mask line under the trim? Similar to what I've done with windshields?

EDIT: Thought I'd add why I want to do this. I don't want to have to remove the glass twice. I plan on keeping the truck on the road while I do panels and patches and prime. One night at a time.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Nope, that trim is perminate.

Even on the first gens? That sucks. So basically once I take it off, I need to replace it with a new one? Or is that the kit you are talking about? It's in crap condition anyways, guess it'll be a good excuse to replace it.

Very nice write-up. It is great to have an actual body man do a write up, because they truly know what they are doing, unlike me. I will refer to this as I continue to remove the character from my X. lol :D

Window kit is this,,,,, adhesive putty on a string sort of stuff.
One box of window kit you can remove and install the window about a dozen times.

Sorry to keep bugging, but I'm not understanding something. When you say the trim is permanent, do you mean it can't be reused? Or were you talking about the window kit?

The trim, the plastic you see around the edge of the glass.
This is preminate.

The window kit you can not see. You can not reuse this stuff. It is far from perminate.

:thumbsup: WOW, that is i can say, but it is some thing that you do every day i now know why a small dent costs a grand.

by the way what was the final price??

thanks for the info

Charlie's_93EB said:
by the way what was the final price??

Pay for shop materials that is all :)
I love my job.

Well I now have to install new tires on the painters car but that ain't no thing.

Writeups like this, are what make this site so great.

What brand and type of black paint did you use. The stuff I bought said it was high gloss but it was still more dull than original paint.

Help me out.

We use Sikkins paint products. Base coat, clear coat.

ok awesome, now I gotta find that stuff

it is a product of Akzo Nobel
It is imported.
Look in your yellow pages for Body Shop Supply.

That being said, PPG is an easier paint to spray ( or so I have been told )
Contact Glaicer, he has done some painting he can help you

My buddy is a painter and he likes dupont, but he'll use anything.

EDIT: What type of paint were you using?

I've shot PPG and think it was pretty easy to work with. Used it in my HS auto body class. Sprayed my whole 91 with it.

I use DuPont Products, and I like tham alot. Once you decide on a paint manufacturer to use, it is best to stick with it. Every manufacturers paint sprays a little differently, and it is hard to make a transition to a different manufacturer once you get used to a brand. Also, once you buy supplies for a particular brand, you can't just mix and match products of different brands. It is more economical to decide on one and stick with it. IMHO

I shot my Ex with Sikkins.
We have used Sikkins forever and a day.

wow! forever AND a day, thats long time.

:D

yeah but it was only a half day though :D

Back