OUCH! Body work needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OUCH! Body work needed

http://www.geocities.com/thor_weilder_of_mijollner/truck.html

chedck that link i have a pic at bottom of page with some body damage.... looking for ideas on how to fix...i know i need to bend it out sand ALOT and use some bondo but what else am i looking at ?
you can ignore the area where the "factory trim" was behind left and right rear tires, it was an eddie bauer til i removed the exterrior trim and pinstripes and repainted the rocker panels. the seats still say "eddie bauer though" i plan to fill in the gap where the trim was behind left and right rear tires with bondo and smooth it out and paint it...it looks taller without all that trim...(lol the trim is for sale if u want it )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would check it out but your: "Site is Unavailable"

Geocities SUCKS!!!!!!!!

yeah I had a geocities account, but when I went to update it, the site went crazy, puttinh question marks everywhere and what not. but anyway..... back to the thread.

that is a dificult area to repair.
The metal there is pretty thick and you have more than a few body lines.
Are you sure you want to do this your self ?

yes i figure if i can get it bent out, i can do the bondo work and stuff...just curious how you guys mght attack this...

Originally posted by CarFreak146
i would check it out but your: "Site is Unavailable"

Do you have acess to a uni-spot ? ( aka stud welder ? )
If you do it will be a HUGE help.
You always want to work out the furthest out body lines first.
If you can't get the stud welder it is all gonna have to be from the back side.
You want it so your mud work is no more then 1/4 inch thick. Really 1/8 is most ideal. Shoot for 1/8 if you can.
Avoid Bondo brand and go with Ever Coat from an autobody supply shop.

Take your time. Get the round shape really close first, then start cutting your body lines. Use masking tape to keep your lines straight. Lightly spray black paint on there let it dry then sand, ( guide coat ) That will show your lines.

I responded to a post for how to do mud work in this dept. do a search for some more pointers.

Let me know if I can help further.

yeah lol how much for you to come over and walk me through it? lol what is a mud line? uhh i can fix dents and stuff but major stuff i get lost, yet i will trumph! why you ask? cause its my truck and if i screw it up then i did it....not some schmoe in a body shop. i want to pay a shop to pull it out as best they can and straighten the hatch lines, hopefully that will make a huge diff for me.

Ummmmm that would be expensive for me to come down and fix it :)

Not mud line but body line.
That is the lines / the deges / the shape in the metal.

It likely will not be a huge savings to have them work the metal for you but not do the mud work.

Really the metal work is the easier of the two tasks. The mud work is the tuffy'

Hey give it your best shot. You might surprise your self !!

i figure if they bend it out...i want to challenge myself with the bondo work. something new and i cant learn well by paying somebody 40+$/hr to watch him do it. besides t's nice to say "lookie what did"

Again, the metal work is the easier of the two tasks.

yeah sort of...i took a breaker bar, a pair of pliers, and a screwdriver to it today...from a distance you cant really tell, especially since i painted it. used some black i had lying around, not showroom but it wont rust out til i get it fixed

sounds like you are well on your way.

Thow some mud on there, tap down those pesky high spots, finish it off prime it and shoot a photo for us to see the success of your hard work.

Back