• Register Today It's free!

Bolts for WAR153 shackles

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
I bought some WAR153 Shackles (used) but one of the 4 bolts was missing.

Can I just run down to home depot or something and get the right bolt, or do I need something specific?

Also this week I will be doing a spindle lift, and I am wanting to do the TT as well.

Do you guys recommend that I get new bolts for the torsion bars before I do the twist lift? My explorer has 150,x.. miles but there is zero rust. I have also heard that one side bolt will lift higher than the other, so I dont know if I should just get new bolts first. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i see no reason y you cant get the same bolt from a hardware store, just be sure its grade 8. as for the tt i used my factory bolts and they worked fine. mine has 130,000 on it and the turned without a prob, went about 1.25" and had plenty of bolt left

good to know, thanks buddy

IIRc, that is supposed to be a 14mm bolt.

I do remember the very early war-153 shackles were drilled for 13mm which allowed the bolt to move around in the bushing.

~Mark

Just don't go looking for Grade 8 Bolts at Home Depot they only carry Grade 5 and down

For Grade 8 you need to hit up a Ace or True Value hardware store or a Nut and Bolt store if you have one in your area.

Just don't go looking for Grade 8 Bolts at Home Depot they only carry Grade 5 and down

For Grade 8 you need to hit up a Ace or True Value hardware store or a Nut and Bolt store if you have one in your area.

I work at Home Depot, and yes we carry grade 8 hardware, I'm not sure about your Home Depot but they should definitely carry it. I know Lowes also carries them. I have the best luck with Fastenal although, they have nearly every bolt, in every size, in every grade.

Back