Bosch Relay Gurus | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bosch Relay Gurus

I am trying to figure out how to add stock foglights to my 01 Explorer Sport. I have gone through and read multiple threads, and looked at many stock and aftermarket wiring diagrams. I think I have most of it figured out except 1 wire. My plan is to use the original 95-01 stock fog light switch with a Bosch relay to activate the lights. I know I can wire the relay to turn the foglights on at anytime using an ignition power source, but I want to stick with stock. I would like to wire the foglights to come on only with the lowbeams and go off with the highbeams to keep it legal. Which wire would I tap in to to make this happen. Also would there need to be a fuse inline with this wire?

I found this diagram and customized it a bit, to what I hope to do. Pin 85 is the only one I have left to figure out. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am not sure as to what gauge wire to run also, any ideas. Thanks for reading this thread.

(dead link)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Using Bosch terminal numbers,the relay's coil are 85 and 86. Treminal 30 goes to the power source ( battery) ,87 and 87a are the contacts-87 is the normally open contact, and 87a is normally closed. So, for foglights,using the factory switch:
terminal 86-wire from foglight switch.
terminal 85-ground
terminal 30-to a fused battery lead
terminal 87-to foglights
terminal 87a-not used

I am trying to wire them like this: but using only 1 factory switch as I am installing factory fogs as I have none.

and I want to wire them like this: but to work with the lowbeams.

(dead links)

This is how I got it figured out, all except which wire on the light circuit to go to for lowbeams from pin 85, would I go to the highbeam side or lowbeam side to activate with lowbeams only.

(dead link)

What do you need the brown wire from the foglights to the switch for?
Here is a simple explanation of how the bosch relays work,with a sample circuit- http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm .
You should be able to splice a wire coming from the lowbeam wire on the dimmer switch with a inline fuse to your foglight switch, from there to the relay terminal 85, and a ground to terminal 86. Terminal 30 of relay to battery a battery positive connection, terminal 87 to foglights fused as you have it. I think you could modify the sample diagram on the link to fit the components you have.

Thankyou, the tan/org wire that looks brown is the wire to the factory switch for the lamp indicator on. A guy I talked to recommended me to do it like this , as to protect the headlamp circuit and the relay and wires from shorting out.

(dead link)

Back